Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best powder for LR 300 win mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: Best powder for LR 300 win mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSE39465 View Post
After reading a bunch of post about what is the best powder for the 300 win mag. I picked up both H1000 and RL22. As far a accuracy goes the RL22 was the best hands down. So my vote goes to RL22.

As far as barrel break in I personally don't believe in it.
Thanks for the input. RL22 definitely seems to be a favorite along with H1000. Luckily I have both on hand so I"ll have try them both out.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

I get excellent accuracy with both H1000 and Retumbo. My rifle seems to like Retumbo better with an extra 100FPS and single digit ES at the accuracy max of sub.5MOA. I shoot 210 VLD's at 2900 FPS out of a 26" barrel. I don't think Retumbo is not too slow burning.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSE39465 View Post
After reading a bunch of post about what is the best powder for the 300 win mag. I picked up both H1000 and RL22. As far a accuracy goes the RL22 was the best hands down. So my vote goes to RL22.

As far as barrel break in I personally don't believe in it.
RL22 was also very good in mine if the weather was good. Once the temps started to drop the loads went nuts. Stopped using it and switched to H1000. Maybe it was just my setup but RL22 just wasn't stable.
Romans 12:12
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
AR10 Noveske Match Barrel Break In - YouTube
IMO Barrel break in is a waste of time. Shoot it clean it.
He stole my break-in process!

Seriously, as long as I've owned guns, I've never followed one of the ritualistic hokey pokey left foot in, right foot out, hold your tongue right break-in processes, and my guns are all tack drivers.

Not saying anyone is wrong, this is just simply how I break all mine in.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
He stole my break-in process!

Seriously, as long as I've owned guns, I've never followed one of the ritualistic hokey pokey left foot in, right foot out, hold your tongue right break-in processes, and my guns are all tack drivers.

Not saying anyone is wrong, this is just simply how I break all mine in.
Just so you know John uses the shoot one clean one for 2-3 rounds on his precision bolt guns.
I do the same and I feel the more elaborate processes a waste of time.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

I do a thorough scrub before I take them out. Then shoot about 50 shots warming up & cooling down. Hasn't let me down yet.

I lied, I forgot when I first got my 7mmSTW I went to the range with a guy I worked with and we did the shoot 1, clean, shoot 1 clean method. That rifle is a tack-driver regardless of break-in.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:50 AM
Silver Member

Using the shoot one clean one you can see the fouling stop...usually 2nd or 3rd round.
Does this matter?
Probably not.

You might laugh at me here, but for years I used to think a lot of things I did mattered.
The more I focused on what I did and how I did it the better I shot....My rifles usually shot a fair bit better than most other guys equipment seemed capable of....Then I retired and got to the point where helping folks with their shooting mattered more than winning....I was surprised to learn their equipment and reloads were often as good as mine! All that crap I fussed over in the loading room...was pretty much worthless.
It was the tens of thousands of rounds I was sending that made "my rifles shoot".

I preach a different sermon these days...I don't talk about single digit runout or even suggest that Savage sucks any more....( )....Just KIDDING!

All you will hear from me these days is "send more rounds down range" or "square up your trigger pull"....That sort of thing....truth is nothing else really matters.
It is also true that I enjoy shooting more now than I ever have.