Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best Powder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: Best Powder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Varget and 4895 are good but if you want max. speed with a short bbl. and a 140 in a 7-08 I'd go with 760/h414 as you'll be able to get another 100 fps out of them compared to the stick powders mentioned. Better case fill. Had a m7 in 7-08 many moons ago.
I agree that 760 is a great powder for extra energy and it meters nice and smooth. Also ball powders have a great chemical stability and will last longer in storage than any other type. Definately the powder for the survivalist or doomsday prepper , seriously .
I use it in my 30-06 AI and it gives good ballistics. However Varget , H 4895 and Benchmark are much better at resisting temperature changes than ball powders.
I am not concerned with tiny groups with the 30-06 however extra velocity is a good thing. If I am trying to shoot tiny groups then I would use H 4350 ( Eq to Aussie AR 2209) which is about the same in burining rate to 760 and H414 .
For general hunting there is many powders that will do the job just fine and one gun might love one powder and another gun hate it . We can't generalise with this kind of thing , one shoe size does not fit all.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 AM

Yeah I want to hit that happy medium of speed and accuracy. I want to push them some, but i still want sub-moa accuracy that the rifle is capable of.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 AM
Gold Member

Then start with Varget , once you have a go to load . Then you can play around with other powders on the side maybe go a bit faster and see if you can improve on the go to load .