Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best oal gauge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

Best oal gauge?

I have tried the Frankford arsenal gauge and I dare you to try and get the same measurment twice (even close). I have also tried the Hornady OAL gauge but the brass was not sized and wouldn't fit in the chamber ( brass far to big) and when my father-in-law tried to size it, it crushed the case. What is a good oal gauge I can find that can be trusted at a fair price? Thank's, Brad
Old 09-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best oal gauge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
I have tried the Frankford arsenal gauge and I dare you to try and get the same measurment twice (even close). I have also tried the Hornady OAL gauge but the brass was not sized and wouldn't fit in the chamber ( brass far to big) and when my father-in-law tried to size it, it crushed the case. What is a good oal gauge I can find that can be trusted at a fair price? Thank's, Brad

I've been using the Stoney Point gauge for a long time. Hornaday bought Stoney Point, and the gauge they sell is similar.
gary
Old 09-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Gold Member

I use the Hornady gauge, it works very well for me, now that I know what I'm doing
Old 09-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

I use a bullet and a fired casing. Coat the bullet with a black marker....seat that bullet in the casing so that it holds tight and nothing more.

Chamber the round as best you can...and close and open the bolt ( not open the whole action...just the bolt) so that rifling marks appear on the marked black bullet.

Cant get the bullet out? Knock it out of the barrel with a clean out rod and start over...seating the bullet deeper this time. Re coat the bullet...etc...etc.

Once you have an OAL that works for you...crimp or ??..the bullet tightly into that case
Old 09-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
I use a bullet and a fired casing. Coat the bullet with a black marker....seat that bullet in the casing so that it holds tight and nothing more.

Chamber the round as best you can...and close and open the bolt ( not open the whole action...just the bolt) so that rifling marks appear on the marked black bullet.

Cant get the bullet out? Knock it out of the barrel with a clean out rod and start over...seating the bullet deeper this time. Re coat the bullet...etc...etc.

Once you have an OAL that works for you...crimp or ??..the bullet tightly into that case
Exactly how i do it, beyond that I then measure the dummy round with a hornady bullet comparator very VERY carefully, then seat that bullet into a sized case to the dummy round dimensions, label it and set in my die box. the only down side is that you need a fired case first, but I'll just go get a box of the cheapest factory blammo I can find and fire off 1/2 of them.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

That plastic junk can't be expected to work.
THIS is the best OAL measuring tool:
Reloader's Nest Forum - OAL
Go to woods post about the R-P tool.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

I like that the R-P tool works like the Frankford. I would hope it would be better as I and a friend I know both have the same problem in not getting consistant readings. Brad