Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best Neck Turning Tool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Neck Turning Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldon View Post
It appears I may have to dive into neck turning quicker than I had here to planned and have been researching turner systems....

Still not sure which makes most sense but K&M just came out with an expanded sized holder for their micro turner.

I still like the round holder mentioned in the thread done by Joel Pendergraft.

Should someone want to contact Joel Pendergraft, i saw his contact info somewhere in my surfing, so for ease of those reading this thread it is: joelpend@bellsouth (add .net) or at least it was at some point
The one major thing the K&M does over the Sinclair is it also removes the doughnut. It also makes fine adjustments very well. Is it the last word? I doubt it. Can the Sinclair neck tools work well? Yes they can with some rework (by the way I like the older ones best).
gary
Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Doughnuts have been headed off for decades, by turning into the shoulder and fireforming. So reaming is a solution to a problem already taken care of with any normal turn.

Also, turning is not to reduce eccentricity, but to produce a set thickness. For this operation you absolutely cannot bind brass, but float it around a proper fitted mandrel.
Again, fireforming finishes this brass prep(completes the action for desired result).

Aldon, you won't find a 'better' turning SYSTEM than Sinclair offers in NT-4xxx
Sinclair Search : Reloading Equipment : Case Preparation : Neck Turning : Neck Turning Tools -
Their mandrel system would also apply to reduce the runout problems you've encountered, even without turning.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Gold Member

I read a post that mentioned that the Mandrel Die by K&M would not fit the Co-Ax as well.

I am about ready to pull the trigger on the Sinclair but alas.....they seem to have a market with no stock to sell
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Silver Member

Just did one hundred cases over the weekend with the K&M ... great tool.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Gold Member

So does the K&M Mandrel Die fit the Forster Co-Ax?

I like the round add on holder that is available from Joel to hold the turner.....

I like the idea of the Turning Mandrel also having the reamer.

And they appear to be available.

So I would pull the trigger tonight on the K&M if the Mandrel dies will work on Co-Ax press.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

I don't currently own a Forster Co-Ax, used to but sold it. I see no reason why the mandrel die won't work on a Co-Ax. It takes a die ring just like any other die and can be adjusted for height just like any other die. I use mine on a Lee Classic Cast or Redding Ultramag.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

I use the
"Lee Zip Trim Case Trimmer Universal 3 Jaw Chuck Case Holder"

found here; Lee Zip Trim Case Trimmer Universal 3 Jaw Chuck Case Holder - MidwayUSA

It works very well for me, even for 338LM.