Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best Neck Turning Tool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Neck Turning Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
I have found one of the best "neck turning tools" to be a really hot red head with big boobs!!
post of the day! (now I know why I suffer from whip lash constantly)
glt
Old 10-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

Could someone please post a link to the Wilson neck turning tool you are raving about. I can't seem to find it online. Is there any way to use the Wilson case trimmer stand with the Wilson neck turner?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhip View Post
Could someone please post a link to the Wilson neck turning tool you are raving about. I can't seem to find it online. Is there any way to use the Wilson case trimmer stand with the Wilson neck turner?
I don't own a Wilson neck turning tool, but they are very similar in concept to the case trimmer they sell. Sinclair used to sell them, but think they quit. From what I understand, Wilson uses a shorter case holder, and of course a completely different cutter setup designed to only cut the O.D. I gather it works a lot like the Forster, but the case is held by the body. Hope this helps
gary
Old 11-08-2010, 04:59 PM

I read the posts, the question I have do I shave the brass to meet the S.A.A.M.I requirements example I shoot the 7mm rem mag and the neck requirement is .315 do I shave to the neck to that measurement. I have brass that measure under as well as over I have calipers from the sinclair NT-4000 Premium Neck Turning kit not too sure what is needed or how to go about shaving off .005 to meet the max requirement on the brass, as well should a guy purchase a neck micrometer or can a guy get away with a normal micrometer. last question is it too late to neck turn on fired brass. thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

I personally like the K&M for normal people use. Easy to adjust, only one with carbide donut cutter.

The pumpkin is very very good. Just really expensive. I have 4 K&Ms all set for one caliber.

I use a Joel Pendgraff K&M cutter holder for it which makes it much easier to hold and sucks off heat better. They will heat up. You can contact him on BR central. Think it runs about $40

I also use the sinclair motor tool for turning. B&D makes a portable screwdriver that works well.

in my experience hand turning is never as smooth as motorized.

BH

Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Gary, your analysis of turning a neck while the case is held firmly in line with the neck is correct in that it will insure the external axis of the neck is concentric with the body. But, that isn't the problem!

What we want with neck turning is 1) for the neck thickness to be consistant, from one end to the other, AND 2) for the interior and exterior surfaces to be parallel. A hand-held turner follows a mandrel to accomplish that exactly as you say; it follows the neck and that results in both a consistant thickness and inside/outside alignment. FL sizing and firing will correct the tiny amount of residual run-out quite well for all but the most precise BR rifles.

Your prefered firmly fixed turning method will insure that any internal-to-external misalignment of the neck cylinders will remain. Any thickness variation due to that residual misalignment will also remain.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Gold Member

It appears I may have to dive into neck turning quicker than I had here to planned and have been researching turner systems....

Still not sure which makes most sense but K&M just came out with an expanded sized holder for their micro turner.

I still like the round holder mentioned in the thread done by Joel Pendergraft.

Should someone want to contact Joel Pendergraft, i saw his contact info somewhere in my surfing, so for ease of those reading this thread it is: joelpend@bellsouth (add .net) or at least it was at some point
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.