Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best Neck Turning Tool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

Best Neck Turning Tool

I am new to all of this stuff. I am having two guns built. In two weeks I will take possession of my 280 AI being built by a local gunsmith. I have decided to buy some Lapua 30-06 brass, turn the necks, resize & then fire-form to my gun.

I've never turned necks before in my life, so can someone post what is the best neck turning tool for me to get? My two biggest requirements are quality and ease of use. I've read that the K&M has some sort of gauge that makes it easier to use but am not sure what that means.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Neck Turning Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhip View Post
I am new to all of this stuff. I am having two guns built. In two weeks I will take possession of my 280 AI being built by a local gunsmith. I have decided to buy some Lapua 30-06 brass, turn the necks, resize & then fire-form to my gun.

I've never turned necks before in my life, so can someone post what is the best neck turning tool for me to get? My two biggest requirements are quality and ease of use. I've read that the K&M has some sort of gauge that makes it easier to use but am not sure what that means.

Thanks in advance!

I use a Sinclair that has a dial indicator on it. It works pretty good, but is a pain when you want to shift the cutter because they built the body out of aluminum, and the cutter assembly is steel. Steel and aluminum do not work well together, and will sieze over time. I made another just like it, but made the body out of a piece of O-1 gauge stock with a much better quality cutter. Like an idiot I gave it to a buddy of mine thinking I'd build another! Of course I never did.

If you go with the Sinclair, buy the one that mounts to a plate, but get a better indicator. Also buy the 40 degree cutter even if you don't need it right away. The K&M is a very good one as well (I don't own one, but have used one in the past). Still the one that peaks my interest is the Wilson. It turns the necks concentric with the case body instead of following a mandrel.
gary
Old 10-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

I use the Forster and have had good luck with it.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhip View Post
My two biggest requirements are quality and ease of use.
You just described the Nielson Pumpkin Neck Turner my friend!

Kelbly's and Bruno's both carry the Pumpkin, give them a call and they will get you set up!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

I have the Forster Hot 100 hand turner and have limited experience with a friend's K & M. The Forster is simpler and much less expensive. Also the blade is much wider on the Forster which makes for a smoother cut

The Forster reamers will also work with the hand turner

but you have to get your inside neck diameter to .003" over caliber someway.

Whichever one you use you need to make arrangements to expand your neck to fit the turning mandrel. I use Lee Collet neck sizers and they work perfect with the Forster.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

A one-stop shopping source:
Premium Neck Turning Kit -

Driver and Caseholders -

Carbide Turning Mandrels -

Neck Turning Kit Case -

Digital Case Neck Micrometer -

IMO, there is no need for a measurement fixture. A feeler gauge get's you close enough for a little trial & error. There is always trial & error anyway.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Best? Likely the Pumpkin. More expensive than I would spend on a non-BR rifle tho. Precision turning to .0001" is neither required or even helpful for non-BR rifles in game cartridges shooting hunting bullets/ammo.

Good enough? Forster's HOT-100 (see Wood's photos) is hard to beat. Modest cost, a (sorta) micrometer adjustment knob (dial in 1st photo), the carbide cutter blade has a notched corner to reduce cutting into the shoulder (2nd photo). I don't care much for the plastic shell holder (1st photo, black and yellow device) but it works. Doesn't matter tho, I usually chuck my cases base down in a 1/2" battery powered drill and slowly turn them into the cutter for easy, fast working. Mine is good enough for groups well under 1" with my factory rifles shooting common hunting bullets in several rifles. I've had no trouble with my cutter galling in the anodized aluminum body when the cutter friction screw is correctly adjusted (the hex screw/washer in 3rd photo) IF the cutter's slot is lightly oiled.

How much neck turning is needed depends a lot on the actual diameter of the chamber and your case necks. Factory chamber dimensions, even when on the tight side, are largish. Thus, turning very much just makes a sloppy fit sloppier. Most of us skim turn maybe 3/4 of the neck circumference and call that good enough to help obtain straighter necks and reduce bullet run-out. That method avoids any real need for a true neck thickness measurement but, IF you want that I'd suggest a ball micrometer instead of a dial indicator mounted on the turning device.