Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best manual powder dropper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best manual powder dropper?

I have a Redding BR30, but it is not as accurate as the Harrels Culver model.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I have a Redding BR30, but it is not as accurate as the Harrels Culver model.
when I first started reloading, A shooting buddy loaned me his 3BR and his BR30's to try. Both were as Redding supplied them. The same guy later gave me a Lyman #55 to play with and a Lee. I like the Lyman, and it seemed to be pretty accurate. Bought it off him. Later down the road I bought the Harrell, and have very few omplaints. The one thing I really like aout the Harrell is that I can look in my log book to see what the settings were a cuple years ago, it it will be right there everytime. But on the otherhand you have to learn to keep track of how many clicks, and of course write it all down. One thing that's really nice about my Hrrell is it's compact size! I have a large cigar box that holds it and my K&M arbor press plus a few other odds & ends.
gary
Old 05-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I only use a manual power disenser for my pistol loads (.357 Mag & .44 Mag).

I use the RCBS Uniflow powder thrower: RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure Standard Cylinder

On this stand: RCBS Advanced Powder Measure Stand

I used both of those for many a year until I started using Varget. It seemed like every 3rd load dropped was hung-up by that stick powder. Went to the ChargeMaster and of course dont have that problem now...

Last edited by Sully2; 05-27-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Best manual powder dropper?
Pretty much any with a scale underneath and a trickler on the side
Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Bronze Member

I love my redding powder trickler and dispenser!

Velocity gives momentary satisfaction and quickly fades, but B.C. like a diamond, is forever.

-You fry something long enough, and you could eat about anything in the world. -Jim Scales
Old 05-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

You know everybody has what he thinks is the best powder measurer on the planet. I've used everything from the older Sinclair and the Jones to the Lyman at onetime or another. I'd have probably bought a Sinclair or a ones, but they way over my budgit at the the time. Yet I was lucky enough to get o try out several brands befor I bought my first one. I bought the Harrell because it worked like Homer Culver's measurers did, and accuracey was actually second thought. When I used the Reddings, Sinclair only offered aftermarket stuff for the RCBS and the Lyman. The Redding stuff came a little later. Sinclair put me onto the drop tubes, and looking back now; I don't know how got by without them! First ones I bought were four inch ones, and within ten days I had ordered in six inch ones. Later Fred came out with drop tubes that were cailber specific. Now I have them in 30, 6mm, and 223 caliber. I always found the stands they sold with measurers to be a little bit of a comprimise. So one day I dreamed up an adjustable stand that was also very ridgid. Don't know how I ever got by without it!
gary