Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best manual powder dropper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

Best manual powder dropper?

I'd like to hear some opinions, thanks guys.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Best manual powder dropper?

Harrels makes a pretty good one
Old 05-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Gold Member

My Ohaus does pretty darn well.

Can get'em on ebay occasionally for a decent price.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

I used a Ohaus for over 30 years and found a good deal on a Harrels and tried it . Both do an excellent job.

The Harrels is the easiest to change from one setting to another and appears to be a little smoother
and has a clear drop tube that I really like (You can see the powder to make sure it is through dumping before removing the case and dumping powder every).

The Harrell's would be my favorite. but both will drop powder accurately if you develop a consistent
way of operating the measure.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

I only use a manual power disenser for my pistol loads (.357 Mag & .44 Mag).

I use the RCBS Uniflow powder thrower: RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure Standard Cylinder

On this stand: RCBS Advanced Powder Measure Stand

And used some carraige head bolts that would sink in flush to the bottom of a piece of plywood as a base to hold it up so I could move it around wherever I need to, and move it out off the bench and out of my way when I need the space.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

I have two manual dispensers, and both are very accurate with ball powders. My first one was a US built Lyman #55 with the Sinclair bottle adapter and several of his drop tubes. It'll meter ball powder to about +/- .13 grains all day long, and probably a little closer if I cross my fingers right. The other is a Harre benchrest Culver measurer. When I bought it they only did the 60 grain one and the 90 grain one. But now they also do a 120 grain one. It will metter ball powder al day long at +/- .1 grain or better (much better). The two will do 2015 BR and 3031 at about +/-.2 grains, but forget stuff like 4350. With long grained powders I simply throw it a full grain short an trickle from there
gary
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

My Hollywood is superb. My two Quick-Measures are fine, and the B&M clone is exceptional. The Dillon works fine, too. I have no opinion about my Lyman 55 or the Phelps, as I have not yet used them.

"An armed society is a polite society"--Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

"Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery...all else is twaddle!"--Admiral Sir John Fisher, RN