Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Best die set-up for 338 Edge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

Best die set-up for 338 Edge

Going to need one soon. What is the best way to do it and where to buy the set-up?

Thanks!

Unread 07-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best die set-up for 338 Edge

It's not cheap, but I'd get mine from Shawn Carlock. I use his bushing die and it works great. I've also used a custom Lee Collet die, but you still need a FL die to push the shoulder back occasionally.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Unread 07-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

I also got mine from shawn carlock. The dies are made just for this case, and they work great. His phone number is 208-687-2659
Unread 07-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

This may sounds odd, but I am using the standard 338 RUM FL and seater dies and are working flawlessly. My chamber is cut VERY snug so my brass doesnt expand but a couple thou at the shoulder. When I run the cases into the die to just touch (NOT bump) the shoulder, they come out the exact same size they went in. The only difference is the neck is a .002" smaller. Every now and then I can feel a shoulder "bump" just a hair.

I dont know if they would work for everybody but their working for me.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Unread 07-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
This may sounds odd, but I am using the standard 338 RUM FL and seater dies and are working flawlessly. My chamber is cut VERY snug so my brass doesnt expand but a couple thou at the shoulder. When I run the cases into the die to just touch (NOT bump) the shoulder, they come out the exact same size they went in. The only difference is the neck is a .002" smaller. Every now and then I can feel a shoulder "bump" just a hair.

I dont know if they would work for everybody but their working for me.
Michael, looking at the drawings for the 338Rum and 300rum (338Edge parent), the shoulder on the 338rum is .001" larger diameter, so your Edge isn't being sized for diameter at the shoulder. The shoulder angle is the same so that isn't an issue.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Michael, looking at the drawings for the 338Rum and 300rum (338Edge parent), the shoulder on the 338rum is .001" larger diameter, so your Edge isn't being sized for diameter at the shoulder. The shoulder angle is the same so that isn't an issue.

AJ
Hey AJ

Any problem cutting a 338 Edge chamber with a 338 RUM reamer considering what you said above?
Unread 07-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
Hey AJ

Any problem cutting a 338 Edge chamber with a 338 RUM reamer considering what you said above?
I am not AJ, but I do know that it is a very common practice among several good smiths. Some use a 300 RUM and then run a neck and throat reamer, some use the 338 RUM reamer and go further in and use 300 RUM headspace guages. Some, I am guessing use an actual edge reamer. .001" at the shoulder is nothing to worry about.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.