Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best cheap powder measure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Gold Member

Best cheap powder measure?

I'm been doing the 'cup-full-of-powder, scoop it onto the scales then trickle or take out until correct weight on each charge' way of reloading since I started

It seems to take forever to do a batch....and I find it mind-numbingly tedious!

Thinking of ways of speeding myself up (without going to the expense of automatic dispenser & scales)

suspect that a cheap and cheerful powder measure (followed by trickling on the scale) would save me time on scooping each charge.

Is the Lee perfect powder measure the optimal measure for this?....or should I be getting the Lee pro auto disk powder measure? ....or something else entirely?!

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Gold Member

Re: Best cheap powder measure?

Personally, I prefer the RCBS Uniflow. Simple, accurate and backed by a great warranty. Hope this helps.
Good shooting.

Jim

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 01-26-2006, 04:02 PM

If you want to go cheap get the Lee Powder Measure Kit for $9.98. If your going to follow by trickling on the scale than just pick a dipper thats close and finish with the trickler. I got my set for free from someone who got a automatic dispenser.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Had a belding and mull that I like real well.

But here's what I liked better.

Load a case with the amount of powder you desire.

"eye ball" it real good (That's red neck for measure the length of case occupied by powder.

Grind/saw/chop or whatever the case just a schoshi bit shorter than the above measurement.. You want it to be about a half grain light.

Solder a handle on it.

Use it as a scoop then trickle the rest.

Do one for each cartridge and load and your ready to go and you did it yourself.

For large cases its faster than the RCBS charge master.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Gold Member

Lyman 55 works well with sypherical. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Gold Member

The 20 dollar Lee Perfect Powder measure is excellent. Mine easily outperforms my bud's RCBS.

Actually, the Lee has beaten measures costing over 100 dollars in tests I've read. (too long ago to remember where).

It works. Just get one, and run about two pounds of powder through it to break it in good. Mine throws the short extrudes almost as well as ball powder.

You've got to practice with it a bit. I've heard folks say "Lee powder measures don't work." To that I say, "operator error." [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I wouldn't fool with anything else--even if you gave it to me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Dan
Old 01-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Gold Member

Matt,
To save yourself some time and tedium, buy yourself a Harrels measure and dump straight into the case. Once set its good for 1/10th grn accuracy, throw after throw after throw.

Ian.