Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best Cheap Chrono??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Best Cheap Chrono??

The pro chrony is the one I got because it had good reviews at midway and cabelas. As far as I know it has worked well so far. One morning it would not read but I think it was too cold because I left it in the truck overnight. My speeds seem to be consistent with what they should be according to load data. After I shoot it (which I will eventually) I will probably get another one assuming it stays accurate.

gary
Old 12-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Gold Member

Got a Shooting Chrony, Master Alpha a few years back for about $110. What I wanted was a consistent measurement device. Did not care if it was over or under the real accurate speed as long as I could get same speed under same conditions each time.
To get a feel for the real speed I shoot KNOWN factory speeds at temp about 70 F and not at high altitude. All you need is a bench mark.
Then I knew mine was over or under by 5FPS or 40FPS from the true speed under those exact conditions. Just remember that every element in the environment that changes can change the speed one or more FPS.
Even these simple things can add up when you get several at the same time.
-not same distance to chrony each time.
-sun is not out.
-sun is on gun now.
-sun is on chrony now.
-left the sun block strips home for chrony.
-ammo was in hot car last time.
-wind change direction.
-temp cooler by 25F.
There are at least 25 things that can make FPS vary and they can add up real fast.
Good luck and be sure to place it at least 60 inches out from MUZ.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

emn83,

Quote:
was looking at either the F-1Master of the Alpha Master, got any more input? Not really sure I need the alpha, since I write everything down anyhow
I am on my second F-1 master I am set up 11 feet away and can read the screen OK even with my not so perfect eyes....Like you I write down and evaluate all info after the fact, so a printer and remote screen are not a necessity for me......I use mine mostly for comparing SDs during load development...

I too am an iron ranger and I use mine every month of the year....Like T3-Oleman says what you are looking for is benchmark velocities to compare others to...Actual velocity (within reason) can be determined and verified with field testing and a good ballistic program....You will probably find that an F-1 is amazingly accurate for the price....

It is true that an Oehler is a nice machine and definitely will help in recognizing errant results....But if you must control ambient light conditions with most chronos...An F-1 shooting buddy is real consistent if you watch and control light conditions and keep consistent bore/chrono/target alignment....

Good luck in your choice gentlemen,
Randy
Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

Thank you for all the input.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyatnop View Post
Ive owned two pacts. Both never worked. Don' t waist you money on pact. Thats the only advice i can give you.
kinda funny as I must know a half dozen guys that use nothing but Pacts, or use them in tandum with others. None have ever failed. I've got one of the very first PC2's ever built, and with the exception of me pulling the cable out of the photocell, it's never missed a beat. Accuracey? As far as I'm concerned it's just as accurate as that over priced Ohler (and I've shot with them as well). Untill somebody can come up with a perfect proof load that will repeat exactly the same everytime; don't tell yours is more accurate as I won't ever tell you likewise.
gary
Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
I don't think a 'decent' chronograph can be purchased for $100-$120. Unless 'decent' means nothing more than confirmation that a bullet passed over the unit.

If you intend to use the recorded velocities for any serious purpose, you'll have to pay more.
you can but the base line Pact for $130, and for what 90% use it for, it's plenty good enough. You don't get a printer, and the software package is not as extensive, plus I prefer the red light bar for the way it mounts.
gary
Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Good thing about a Forum is no one needs to agree with anyone.
actually I tend to agree with you 95% of the time
gary