Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

best case lube?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: best case lube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
I've used one shot for years on everything from a 17rem to a 338rum and have never had a stuck case. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Me too! One thing I know for certain about stuck cases, if you stick one you did not use enough lube regardless of the brand. follow the 2% rule ;)
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

"I'm a believer in Imperial Sizing Wax. Just for fun, I ran a 30-06 through a 308 die just to test the was. Felt like any other re-size, nice and easy. Although- very funny looking."

It's that truth that makes me want to roll on the floor laffing when some web 'expert' tells a noob the reason he's having difficulty FL sizing little 5.53 cases to throw them away because they were fired in a machine gun and can't be sized beck to original dimensions!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

"One thing I know for certain about stuck cases, if you stick one you did not use enough lube regardless of the brand. follow the 2% rule ;) "

Absolutely. All of the wild web guesses about why cases get stuck, from case or die brand, brand of press, which way the wind's blowing, failure to lube INSIDE the necks, etc, matter not, cases stick for ONE reason; insufficent lube, usually on the lower, thicker part of the cases; most everyone puts plenty (or too much) on the upper part.

With 1Shot it's usually because the user failed to shake the spray can before use and/or didn't allow time for the carrier to evaporate and/or failed to run the first case lightly into a totally clean die before the first sizing effort.

Funniest story I've read about case lube is one guy saying an RCBS tech told him not to use Imperial or any other wax lube in their dies because the wax gets thick and rubbery so the cases are effectively glued in! Goodness...