Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

best case lube?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 11:03 AM

best case lube?

What does everyone prefer? My reloader kit came with the hornady spray and I have had bad luck with cases getting stuck with it. Seems like it goes from being slick to sticky in just a few seconds. Are there any cheap alternatives thats not actual case lube?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:19 PM

Re: best case lube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottielp503 View Post
What does everyone prefer? My reloader kit came with the hornady spray and I have had bad luck with cases getting stuck with it. Seems like it goes from being slick to sticky in just a few seconds. Are there any cheap alternatives thats not actual case lube?
Don't use the that spray stuff my 30-06 case got stuck too!!!! Never did get the case out. I went back to the RCBS lube with their pad.

Mike
Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

buy a couple tins of Imperial Die Sizing Wax, and be done with it. That's enough to do at least a thousand cases if not more, and there's still nothing better.
gary
Old 01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
buy a couple tins of Imperial Die Sizing Wax, and be done with it. That's enough to do at least a thousand cases if not more, and there's still nothing better.
gary

I went with the wax....saves much mess too..!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Gold Member

I just use the RCBS lube and pad that came with my kit...seems to work well for me
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

I use One Shot for 223 and 6mmAr cases successfully, but the larger cases are guarenteed to stick in the dye. I have had similar sticking on occasion with Imperial wax with large cases. I lije it for neck sizing. RCBS lube with a pad, which I have used for 40 years, is still my favorite for 308 and larger cases.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with RCBS lube & pad.
I had a die/chamber mismatch once that led to stuck cases. Before resolving with a custom die, I tried many case lubes, and wax.
Wax was the worst, followed by sprays.
RCBS case lube solved all but the root cause of my problem. No stuck cases with it.

It's also an excellent cleaner. A few drops in your tumbling medium improves cleaning, and you can wipe carbon off necks with it.
I don't roll cases on the pad, but squish a little into a pad and swipe fingers across it to hand apply lube. With this, I can obtain shoulder bumps with no more than 1/2thou total spread on 1thou target.
Consistent lube is crucial to consistent shoulder bumping.