Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best bullet for long-throat Accumark 300 win mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best bullet for long-throat Accumark 300 win mag

I haven't shot any of the 185's, so I don't have any idea how they might react, or what might be better with what powders...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRHChinook View Post
I'm having trouble finding an accurate bullet for my Weatherby Accumark 300 win mag. Bergers (165 gr and 185 gr) don't work at all and Berger says it's probably due to the Weatherby long throat. Weatherby suggests a flat base bullet. I've tried Sierra Pro Hunter 180 gr with only limited success.

Nosler partitions have a mostly flat base; how about them?

I've finally drawn a tag for a NM elk hunt so I need to get serious... Thanks
I think Wby would build a SAAMI spec 300mag and not have the long wby freebore.

I tried to find same article that was posted here but here it is from another site
Berger Tips for Loading VLD Bullets Daily Bulletin

The Wby 300mag has a 1/10 twist barrel that twist may effect the Berger VLD bullets and you may do better with a standard type bullet. what you should ask Wby is what ammo they run accuracy test in that rifle. I have never shot the Berger 185gr in a 1/10 twist barrel been shooting them in a 1/12 twist 30 cal mag.

here is the bullet range that Wby offers for the 300Wby
Berger Tips for Loading VLD Bullets Daily Bulletin

Well good luck
Old 04-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRHChinook View Post
I'm having trouble finding an accurate bullet for my Weatherby Accumark 300 win mag. Bergers (165 gr and 185 gr) don't work at all and Berger says it's probably due to the Weatherby long throat.

Why would they cut the throat long if it is a 300 win mag??? My 300wm (1/10 twist) likes the berger 215's and imr7828....
Old 04-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

Barnes or Nosler or Hornady are what will take your troubles away and **** can
the burgers ,,,that's why weatherby doesn't use them in there ammo line.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

my experience with the 300WM suggests that RL 22 would be a good choice for these mid weight range bullets, H1000 does a little better with the heavies over 200grains. Have you measures the throat length to see if you have any freebore? I would also reccomend changing a scopes from a know shooter to verify that it's not the scope, don't believe for a second that just your scope is a swarovorski that its a perfect performer.......it's one easy thing to check off the list and can save you lots I components.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

The Accumark chambered in 300 win will not have the free-bore that the Weatherby chamberings do. So all that about flat based bullets and Wby's is out the window. I would get away from the small offerings and load some 210 or 215 Berger's in it with H-1000. The fact this is not chambered in a Weatherby caliber takes away all and anything about what brand rifle it is or what bullets Wheatherby uses in their factory ammo. It is a 300 win and once the bolt is closed it is all about your load. I have yet to see any 300 win that didn't like 210 or 215 Bergers and H-1000 with a Fed 215 M primer.

Cwinner also brought a very important thing up. Check the scope and double check the mounts!!

Jeff
Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

I agree with Broz that most 300WM will devour 200+ bullets and H1000, for reference I recently re-barraled one of mine with a 1:10 twist Schillen tube and it loves 75.0gr H1000 with the 230gr OTM Tatical Berger bullets Fed 215 M primers into one ragged hole......I plan to try the 215's someday when I can find them. A key is finding the seating depth, mine likes the 230's on the lands but jumping the 210 VLD's .080" makes them shoot. That's why it's important to determine seating depth, I run the searing dept test liked earlier and can swear it works, if your scope is good