Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best bullet for long-throat Accumark 300 win mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 04:15 PM

Best bullet for long-throat Accumark 300 win mag

I'm having trouble finding an accurate bullet for my Weatherby Accumark 300 win mag. Bergers (165 gr and 185 gr) don't work at all and Berger says it's probably due to the Weatherby long throat. Weatherby suggests a flat base bullet. I've tried Sierra Pro Hunter 180 gr with only limited success.

Nosler partitions have a mostly flat base; how about them?

I've finally drawn a tag for a NM elk hunt so I need to get serious... Thanks
Old 04-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best bullet for long-throat Accumark 300 win mag

Weatherby's have free-bore for a reason. You will never be able to seat that bullet properly and have it be touching the rifling. Tried it with my .257 Wby....Wasn't happening.

So I just seated them at the maximum magazine length where they would barely fit, but still feed reliably as a repeater for hunting, and I let it ride.

Flatbase or boattail makes no difference to how the rifle likes it....That helps determine how effective the bullet will remain stabilized when in flight. The boattail bullets help create a more turbulent wind drift behind the bullet because of it's shape, which 1) helps stabilize it, and 2) helps it be more aerodynamic and efficient at cutting through the atmostphere.

All I shoot are boattail bullets.

You should try the Berger VLD's. Try the 168 and the 210's. I have had excellent results with the 210's from my .308 Win, and from my buddy's .300 WinMag that I load ammo for. I loaded some for my other buddy's .300 Wby Mag, but he hasn't been to the range to shoot yet...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:45 PM

I've tried the Berger VLDs 168gr using 78.5 gr of H1000. My groups (from a bench rest) were all over the place. I use an electronic scale to weight every powder charge and am using Swarovski optics. I did what you did and seated the bullets so they just fit in the magazine.

Can you suggest a different powder? I'd to get these Bergers to work...

PS. Berger suggests (among many) 66.5 gr IMR-4350 or 67 gr H-4350. What is the difference between IMR and H with the 4350? I have some H but no IMR...

Last edited by LRHChinook; 04-20-2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added 4350 info
Old 04-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Berger says 83.0gr is the max load with the 168's, so I'd try working my way up. Start somewhere in the middle, but Weatherby rifles with the freebore tend to love hot loaded ammo. So, try about 80 and work up to 83 in 0.5gr incriments.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 04-20-2013, 04:54 PM

MudRunner,

You responded whilst I was typing... Can you comment on my 4350 question? Thanks
Old 04-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't used any IMR powders, but have been thinking about some IMR 7828 SSC, as it can be used in a huge array of different calibers, just like H1000 can.

H1000 has become my favorite magnum powder, I also use Alliant Reloder 19 & 22, and am trying to get my hands on some Retumbo and Alliant 25 at the moment. But can't seem to find any...

I have found H1000 is not a very temp-sensative powder, like alot of them are. And it works great in my .257 Wby, 7mm RemMags, and 7mmSTW. So, I keep a fair bit of it on-hand, since it has worked so well for me in so many different calibers.

I wish I could comment on the IMR powders, and do hope to try some 7828 SSC soon. If I get a chance to, I'll let you know my findings.

Quote:
Old 04-20-2013, 05:20 PM

I have two canisters of RL-22. I think I'll try some recommended and max loads of that (73.3/77.6) with the Berger 168s. Also the same for my H4350.

As I said, I also have some Berger 185 VLDs. Care to speculate on whether these will shoot better in my Accumark than the 168s? I failed to record my group sizes with the 185s when loaded with 75.5 gr of H1000 but they must have been bad... Maybe I'll give them another chance with RL22 and H4350... if you tell me Bergers may actually be OK in my long-throated barrel..