Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

best brass fire forming method?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by abinok View Post
I too am a fan of the COW- cornmeal fireforming method. Ido mine with a false shoulder formed in the neck, cream of wheat, and some Hodgen Titewad... no papertowel needed. I just point it to the sky and let her rip. Ive never lost a single case with this method... and thats with about 800 or so cases formed. I usually ultrasonic the cases after they're formed to be sure theres no COW in the case. The ring that forms at the mouth of the case is a result of the differance in the chamber and case length. make sure it dosen't drop out and get on the bolt face... as you will then form the next case with a bump under its rear!
Great method!
You boys just ant from the South.I use "GRITS" then cap off with canning wax,works great. AHill

Unread 11-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Gold Member
I've done it both ways

this is a bullet fireformed group from my 7AM, 15 gr under max with WC872

Now using Unique/CM/TP just leaves the shoulders slightly rounded, after the way the pressure as to form the shoulders with a bullet load, how much could slightly rounded shoulders hurt accuracy?
Born to Hunt, Forced to Work!
Unread 11-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Silver Member
One thing that I found that helps with fire-forming brass that hasn't already been mentioned is lightly lubing the cases. This ensures they don't momentarily stick to the chamber walls and not properly setback against the bolt face. If this happens you stretch the brass walls. I use just enough imperial sizing wax to just make my fingers shiny. And then evenly apply to all cases. Swabbing your chamber every so many rounds is a good idea as mentioned above to make sure that debris doesn't stick to the greasy chamber.
I lube my cases very lightly when using the cornmeal/toilet paper or full load fire-forming method. Have seen the evidence when I forgot to do this to 10 cases out of a batch of (100) 338 Lapua cases. Of the 10 that I forgot to lube when forming I lost 4? cases after 5-7 firings. I only lost 2 cases out of the other 90 cases after 20+ firings. Pretty conclusive evidence.

Unread 11-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Silver Member
I've always just used midrange loads and light bullets to fireform with, that way I get to do some practice shooting while fireforming loads. I find it much more enjoyable to shoot rocks and varmints while fireforming.
Unread 11-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member
This is the method that Speedy Gonzalez has used for hundreds of thousands of rounds.. He formed his brass this way and set world records and shot himself into the BR HOF by doing this.. I have done many thousands this way some for his shop even for customers.

Very simple fill the case about 70% full with Bullseye and place a small piece of cotton ball or wax into the case mouth. Then fire it up into the air---creates some heat so the process is kind of slow (about 60 or 70 per hour)unless you have dedicated fire form barrels. I use this for even the largest of cases I shoot like my 338 Lapua variant and the 300 RUM variant.. Works like a charm every single time…
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!
Unread 11-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Silver Member
This is probably a stupid question but has anybody ever tried to do this hydraulicaly? Could you use your chamber reamer to make die and then fill the case with water and then insert a tight fitting rod into the case neck and give it a whack with a hammer?
Unread 11-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Gold Member
I did notice in my 6.5 gibbs that necks are about .001-.0015 thicker useing COW then they are shooting bullets.
Born to Hunt, Forced to Work!