Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

best brass fire forming method?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

best brass fire forming method?

What have you guys found to be the best way to fire form brass? Is there any difference in the technique that you would use in fire forming in a barrel that is new vs. one already broken in? I would appreciate any recommendations on powder, wads (bullets), etc.. I have several large case rifles in which I need to form brass. Thanks for your input.
Paul
Old 12-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: best brass fire forming method?

Unique powder under cornmeal plugged w/tissue paper.

Remove brake and don't let the barrel get too hot.

Also, its loud....

How much unique? For Ultra Mag size cases as much as 20 grains but you are on your own with this.

If using this method be cautious of the charred cornmeal ring around the case mouth. Eject easily w/o neck or mouth touching side of action so that the brown ring doesn't remain in the chamber for the next shot.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Find cheep and lightweight bullets, look in any
reloading manual for the lightest load listed
and proceed.

Dont go any lighter to avoid squibb loads that can be dangerous.

NOTE: clean every 10 to 15 rounds and try to have fun.
(Boring)

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

I have 22-250AI I shoot a Max charge for standard 22-250. For example 40grs of H-380 behind 52 gr A-max. Its very accurate much faster than a 223 . Blows that case up, like a balloon
Old 12-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Gold Member

I too am a fan of the COW- cornmeal fireforming method. Ido mine with a false shoulder formed in the neck, cream of wheat, and some Hodgen Titewad... no papertowel needed. I just point it to the sky and let her rip. Ive never lost a single case with this method... and thats with about 800 or so cases formed. I usually ultrasonic the cases after they're formed to be sure theres no COW in the case. The ring that forms at the mouth of the case is a result of the differance in the chamber and case length. make sure it dosen't drop out and get on the bolt face... as you will then form the next case with a bump under its rear!
Great method!
Old 12-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Silver Member

Maybe this is a duh question. But why remove the brake?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Obviuosly it is a "duh" question, but each of us has to be told individually so we don't make a mistake and get hurt. The amount of shotgun/pistol powder you put in the case is a full load for a shotgun and very powerful. All of that corn meal has the weight of a decent sized bullet. Toilet paper wadded up does not disintegrate inside the barrel but flies out of the barrel in a compressed wad. If it should hang on some of the ports and cause a constriction then you have 20+ grains of Unique pushing about a 150 grains bullet made out of cornmeal. SOMETHING HAS GOTTA GIVE.

You might can get by without taking off the brake but then why risk a $5,000.00 custom rifle on "might".

When I fireformed cases up on Wildcat Creek I was ashamed of myself because there was little balls of toilet paper littering the place and making it look trashy. Also there was cornmeal sprayed all over the place.