Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

best "bang for buck" neck turner and chuck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Gold Member

Re: best "bang for buck" neck turner and chuck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
I second Winchester 69
If you're only lookin to clean-up variance, it's cost effective to simply identify the lack of it.
Otherwise, your spending money and alot of time to save every piece of crappy brass, without really finding every piece of excellent brass.

Thickness variance runs full length of cases. This comes into play with every springback because thicker sections springback more than thinner. Eventually you end up with bananas for ammo, and sizing won't fix it (it amplifies it).
Buy 1,000 pieces of brass, measure it to pull out ~200 with little to no thickness variance, rake the rest in the trash can. Brass is cheap.
These will stay straight longer than turned turds, so they are worth all additional prepping efforts. In the long term, you do not want to be wasting these efforts(they suk).
Mike, I would love to do this, but I'm 16, I don't even have money for 1000pieces of brass right now (just paid off custom build) I will buy a box of lapua and do a full prep on a batch of Winchester brass, weight sort and all, and run some accuracy tests over 10 5shot groups with each at 300yards. But first need to get my rifle back from the smith.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

Oliveralan, I understand your condition.
I'll look around tonight and see if I can put a Sinclair turning kit together for you.

Don't feel disadvantaged over your brass brand. It is what you make it in the end.
I wouldn't worry about Wood's diagram either. It implicates a problem -that really isn't.
Of course NEW brass isn't true. Doesn't matter the brand.. Doesn't matter at all..
For one, we don't turn brass to any centerline. It's a floating operation that's simply a matter of thickness off the mandrel.
Second, brass is NEVER true until fireformed so. You won't compete with new(unformed) brass.

I don't have any, but maybe someone here could chip in some 308 brass for your cause.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Oliveralan, I understand your condition.
I'll look around tonight and see if I can put a Sinclair turning kit together for you.

Don't feel disadvantaged over your brass brand. It is what you make it in the end.
I wouldn't worry about Wood's diagram either. It implicates a problem -that really isn't.
Of course NEW brass isn't true. Doesn't matter the brand.. Doesn't matter at all..
For one, we don't turn brass to any centerline. It's a floating operation that's simply a matter of thickness off the mandrel.
Second, brass is NEVER true until fireformed so. You won't compete with new(unformed) brass.

I don't have any, but maybe someone here could chip in some 308 brass for your cause.

Mike, thank you so much. That would be absolutely awsome! I have some .30cal bullets i can trade you if you want, ill really be in your debt.

I agree, i hope i can make due with the brass i have, i have about 75 unfired pieces of winchester brass another 300 once fired that perfectly fit, my old chamber =\ so will FL resize and try again .

thanks again mike,

Oliver
Old 01-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

I think I can get you going
Click my name and 'private message' me your address
Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Gold Member

I am also interested in neck turning some brass.

I also saw an interesting idea posted on youtube. Guy takes 30-06 brass sizes it down to .308 than turns the case neck till it just barley chambers with a round inserted. The end result is a neck that is as uniform and thick as possible. The idea being when you size down a caliber you are using a thicker part of the case for the neck than before. This theoretically get you very good and consistent neck tension. Not such a huge deal on say a .308 but for my .300 win mag that has a short case neck to begin with I can use all the neck tension I can get.

For the Op I would recommend annealing your brass and neck sizing only for UBER (I think thats what you kids say these days) case life.

And believe me I work two jobs and go to college full time and have a baby on the way so I understand all too well being on a limited budget.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 04-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Gold Member

I shoot a 30 BR (Lapau brass) and the chamber neck is cut at .330" and I cut them to .328 loaded and use a .325 or .324 bushing
Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Gold Member

I guess I should mention that I just barely cleaned up a case neck on my 270 WSM to .306" and the bullet was slightly loose which means I will need a bushing die if I turn the necks. I did this by hand to make sure I didn't cut much.
If Lapau makes brass for your cartridge buy it and don't worry about turning necks