Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best approach for consistent bullet release

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

Best approach for consistent bullet release

A friend and I have had a running conversation regarding how to best approach consistent bullet release.
Dan shoots 1000 BR and is very meticulous as to how he approaches case prep. We both agree that consistent bullet release is part of the equation for low ES and subsequent tight groups. He believes that leaving residue in the necks of fired brass is the best approach. He thinks sonic cleaning, tumbling or even using a bore brush in the necks is a bad idea. He sizes using a S bushing die and doesn't do anything about the residue inside the necks.

He is about to anneal his brass and says he will have to fire every case once to coat the necks with powder residue before using them in a match.

I argue that if the necks are clean by using a sonic cleaner or after annealing there is no need to shoot each piece of brass to coat the neck walls. Dan argues that super clean brass is bad for consistent bullet release. I realize that the load might have to be tweaked because of the increased friction but I think that a clean neck vs a fouled neck would cause no difference in potential accuracy.

What about running a bore brush into the necks to remove excess residue? What about tumbling brass? Wouldn't these methods also result in consistent bullet release?

I think you get the idea. Obviously this is not something most of us worry over with our hunting rifles. Maybe we should? Consistency is important, which approach is best or does it matter? Would love to hear your ideas.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best approach for consistent bullet release

yes it's true benchresters get really friggin weird about minute details.........

The question for most of us is "does it matter enough to worry about?" I'm not a benchrester the only support I ever use at all is bipods, that includes off the bench, So I doubt that if it makes a difference that I would ever be able to quantify it over environmental factors. I never worried about it, they get as clean as my tumbler gets em, I don't ever brush the inside either never have.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

I tumble all my hunting brass. For a while I tried running a brush in the 30 BR brass necks with no tumbling then going to the S bushing. Have tumbled the 30 BR brass and couldn't see a difference but I am not shooting for tiny groups at 1000 yd either.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Bronze Member

I probably should not get into this since I don't have near the knowledge as the rest of you do , but would it be possible to clean the necks and apply a very small amount of lube to get a more consistent release. Nothing that would foul the barrel but something like a smear of case lube on the bullet before seating? Forgive me if this is totally crazy. Just seemed like a possibility.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

sean I thought about that years ago, but I never tried over concerns of contaminating my powder. But like everything else in this game I imagine the best answer would be "depends" with so many tiny variables in barrels alone I can see it working for some rifles but not all. Now that I think of it seems that's kind of what bullet coatings do before the bullet ever touches the lands.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

We did talk about coatings and using sonically cleaned brass but it was dismissed, not wanted in bore.

Meanwhile IIRC John Lazzaroni uses a locktite product with ammo that uses the lazerhead bullets. The NP3 coated bullets are so slippery recoil would move them around.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Silver Member

Assumeing that you are bench resting and not hunting I think that you are neck siseing not crimping, cleaned, trimmed and sorted your brass by brand, weight and thickness at the neck.
Every powder charge is inividually wieghted and that your over all length is correct so that the rnds are .010" longer than your chamber so that when you chamber the rnd it is seated firmly against the rifleing. If so, one would think that each shot will have the same preasure build when it starts its jorney down the barrel

Last edited by g0rd0; 08-12-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: miss spelling