Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best 300 yd target "visual"??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Silver Member

Best 300 yd target \"visual\"??

My 48 year old "bifocal eyes" aren't what they used to be. I do almost all my shooting at round orange dots. I want to zero my 300 wby at 300 yds and was wondering if you guys have any homemade ( or other targets) that make it real easy to put the cross hairs onto at that range.
(3-9 scope). I can usually get 3-4" groups at 300 but was wondering if there was a better "visual" than my 3" orange dot that would help me hold on target better.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Best 300 yd target \"visual\"??

Kraky1,

My eyes are decent but I have never been able to get a clear sharp sight picture using an orange target square unless its on a dark background.

For this reason I use nothing but Black squares of various sizes for my range testing. Just seem to work better with my eyes.

For 100 yards I use a 3/4" hollow black box. 300 to 500 yards I use a 3" black box with a 1" open middle as long as I am using a relatively high powered scope.

I just have never been able to get a clear image of an orange target dot or square.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

i'm with 50. i like a black circle with white center.no matter what the range, i make the inside white circle just big enough to get little pieces of white showing in all 4 corners of the crosshair.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

A few comments about getting older.

About six years I missed a small buck at 10 yards with my bow because with my progressive lens bifocals I was trying to see through my peep, pins and the deer. I could not at ten yards make out the difference between the deer and the tree and see the sight pins in the failing light because my glasses were slightly slipped over and I was looking thorough the reading part of the lens. The same thing will occur with a scope and I will be unable to get a consistent sight picture because of where my glasses happen to be riding at the moment. My advice is to hunt with single lens glasses. You can set you gun in a cradle and look through the scope and with one hand move your bifocals around and see if you have the problem I had.

Secondly, you may need to ignore the parallax focus mark setting on your scope and just shoot what “looks” right.

Third, if you have changed prescription lately then go back and reset or recheck the eyepiece focus on your scopes.

Fourthly, I find that the larger the aiming target the larger my groups. Use the least size you can see.

Finally, if you should ever run upon the guy who said these were the “golden years”, please don’t shoot him. Tie him up and call me and we will torture him for a long time.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Silver Member

I like the blue diamond targets that Sinclair sells. You can get them up to 5" and since the diamond is blue, you can see your hits easily whereas they can be difficult on a target with black areas.

Good Shooting, Festus
Old 08-06-2005, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
i like a black circle with white center.no matter what the range, i make the inside white circle just big enough to get little pieces of white showing in all 4 corners of the crosshair.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's very close to what I've been using lately: http://www.jonaadland.com/300YDSquare.doc

Recently I tried putting a white square in the center instead of a circle and it seems to help in centering the crosshairs. I can also see the holes a little better in gray than I can black--but on hot days with mirage I still lose them in my scope. Just keep 'em in the white. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Maybe after a new barrel I'll be able to consistently do that.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 01:12 AM
daveosok

Hey Dave, contact me will ya. I'd like to talk to you about some things.

Dave