Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bersin Concentricity Tool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2006, 05:52 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Bersin Concentricity Tool

I have been told the same thing about it changing the neck tension. I have one though, and it has not been detrimental (as I have been able to tell) to my shooting.
I have a couple of other friends who have one and they consistently shoot 1k (IBS) and they are very satisfied with it's performance.
With that being said, I have not done the kind of litmus test that would be required to prove it one way or the other.
My guess is, most people who speak negatively about the product have not done so either.
Since I have been using mine, my results have been very satisfying.
Wish I could be more scientific in my response, but I can't [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2006, 06:43 AM
Gold Member

Your right XP,Ive never used one.I first saw them advertised by Kinnemans and thought it would be a neat tool but then started thinking that a piece of fired brass is going to be as straight (uniform with the chamber) as its ever going to be from fireforming with the exception of wall thickness in the body,neck etc.
So with all things copasetic with a fireformed case that is being reloaded,ideally the variance in neck thickness is the only thing left to screw with bullet runout (aside from reloading practices that arent quite right...misadjusted dies etc.)
Then I thought how is a Bersin going to true a bullet to be in the centerline of the bore if the neck wall thickness isnt even.I dont think it can.You may be able to reduce runout where the Bersin is measuring but for every thousandths you push the bullet to reduce run out, the other end of the bullet is increasing in run out.
So in my mind,with prepped fireformed brass and proper loading the Bersin was another concentricity gauge that I didnt need,I already have one.
Is my thinking correct?
Old 04-30-2006, 04:40 AM
Gold Member

I'm with BartB, I've never used one but, I'm sure it won't work.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I have not done the kind of litmus test that would be required to prove it one way or the other. My guess is, most people who speak negatively about the product have not done so either.

[/ QUOTE ]I spoke negatively aabout it because of experiences years ago shooting service ammo in match grade rifles. Folks would take .30-06 ball or AP ammo, chuck the bullet in a pulling collet, then bend the round a bit to straighten the bullet's alignment with the case axis. None of them shot as accurate as when the loaded round's case neck was held in a larger bullet pulling collet then the neck bent so as not to disturb the neck tension on the bullet. So, when this "bullet bending" rig came out some time ago and I was asked back then about it, I said 'twouldn't work well.

This was the norm back in the '50s and early '60s when M1 Garands were the only service rifle allowed in military style matches. 'Course that was before epoxy bedding and folks used match book covers or sand paper between the trigger housing flats so the receiver would be held tigheter in the stock.

All the above aside, if one does anything to loaded ammo that makes it consistantly shoot more accurate, do it; again and again and again......
Old 05-01-2006, 06:23 AM

stevyboy bring that laddies cal down "kimber" HaHaHa
the texas boys, well you know the only things that come out of the big T are steers and q....s.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:16 AM
SPONSOR

Well as long as you got some of them kick @$$ hot links again I will be there

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST