Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Berger VLD bullets as hunting bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Re: Berger VLD bullets as hunting bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284STW View Post
I have seen big game shot with just about every bullet out there and have shot game with Bergers myself. I switched from barnes bullets to Bergers because they shoot so well out of my STW. I honestly believe that the bergers will perform on game even with a poor shot. All of the premium bullets out there will work well on game inside their designed applications, I would find whatever works best in your rifle and use it. For me the bergers group well and perform better down range than most other hunting bullets. The higher BC gives you a better probability of making that good shot when wind or extended range is thrown into the mix. I truly believe that if you keep your shots inside the performance capabilities of the cartridge you are shooting you should have decent effectiveness on those less than perfect shots that most of us end up making at one time or another.
I was raised by a grandfather and father who always said if you can't kill it the first shot you dont shoot. Less than Perfect shots mean wounded animals lost game and ruined hunts.......and in my humble opinion anything less than perfect is unethical bullet selection aside. I've never lost an animal the farthest any of them have gone after the shot was 3 steps.

I believe that in hunting you really should worry about the ethical shot to cleanly humanly kill the animal not the prayer shot you hope will kill the animal. I missed out on a monster mule deer buck (180-200") because I couldn't be 100% sure I could make the clean kill. Because of the way he was standing and then he moved into the mahogany. Never saw him again. Sounds petty to pass a buck up like that based on the way he was standing. But that's how its done in our house.....you don't have the ideal shot you don't shoot. these variables can be tough at 300 yards. Then at 1000 yards those variables are amplified so bullet selection becomes crucial for good penetration and lethality. bergers are just match bullets marketed as a hunting bullets. The only difference is the color of the box they come in. as I have started in other threads to each there own. Choose wisely.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:22 AM

Re: Berger VLD bullets as hunting bullets

I shoot the 210g vld's in a 300 RUM. I shot a small mule deer buck this year at about 200 yards. Admittedly, I was not very comfortable with the gun yet as I had just purchased it within the last month. My first shot was about a foot back. This bullet did not punch all the way through the deer. 86 g worth of bullet was stuck under the fur on the opposite side. My second shot hit just in front of the right shoulder and exited through the opposite shoulder leaving a grapefruit size hole. (Not proud of my shooting shooting)!! Either way, the deer did not walk 10 yards after the first shot and died immediately after the second. Took about 1 minute between shots.
I am running 96.6g Retumbo powder at about 2950fps.
I think they perform just fine. I will repost results after elk season and, I hopefully get an elk.