Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Berger VLD bullets as hunting bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 PM

Re: Berger VLD bullets as hunting bullets

Here is how Berger justifies using target bullets for hunting:

"Our bullets don't poke through like an arrow but instead expend all of their energy right where it is most effective, inside the animal. Bullets that poke through so that they can cause a blood trail are designed to result in a hunter tracking a wounded animal. Using the Berger VLD will result in an animal that goes down fast so you can enjoy the results of your hunt without having to track the wounded animal after the shot."

hahahahahahaha....

I really doubt that Nosler, Hornady, Speer, Barnes etc. would agree with this "pitch", but what do they know?

Somebody on another post said it best when he said that they took a weakness and turned it into a strength. Good marketing.

Of course, "as long as you believe it, does it really matter?"

They sure are accurate bullets though. Too bad they are made in Kalifornia.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion View Post
[...]I think they forgot the human factor of poor shot placement.
I agree.
Berger fogot about this.
But, the Manhattan project addressed it between 1939 and 1945.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like a nice 200 pound buck there the way your holding it. Is he the one that walked behind the one you were aiming at?

As far as bullets, shoot the ones that shoot the best in your rifle. My bench has bullets from about every bullet maker. They all kill stuff with the right shot.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

In the last 3 years I have personaly witnessed over 50 animals taken with Bergers from 243 cal to 300 win mag. All but one fell in the tracks they were standing in. The one ran about 30 yards and left a blood trail any one could follow. That one was hit a little farther back and a little low for my liking. Last elk I shot with hornady interlocks took 3 through the shoulder before he fell. Not knocking hornady but for me the proof is undenieable.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Bronze Member

Actually Bergers are the best bullet for a marginal shot. Higher BC's equal more energy which means more damage. Thinner jackets equal more damage and a faster kill on a marginal shot. It seems this debate always divides long range hunters. As for the blood trail debate, with more damage and bleeding from a VLD style bullet even 1 hole will let more blood out than 2 holes from a bullet that does not create as much damage internally.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 PM

Good thought. Terrain is a good thing to consider with shot placement. Here in SE Wyoming I can sit down in many places and watch most animals die of old age. I could probably hunt with FMJ's here and do just fine.
Nevertheless, I always hunt with controlled expansion bullets just in case there is a tree nearby. haha
Wildlife would be important to consider too. I would never use a FMJ in bear country. I have encountered several bears while hunting and they definitely get your attention every time.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

My kid and I were drilling speed goats w/ 87 grn bergers out to 550. Took 4, in last 2 yrs, not to worried about sending a 300 berger at them , with the norma, it puts a heck of a mark on gong at460.