Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Berger VLD bullets as hunting bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Actually, that photo caused me to eat quite a few Tylenol because of the unbalanced strain on the lower back.

Tomorrow, I will be submitting my antelope application for this Fall.

I might get several hats this year or perhaps I will just learn a little more about the difficulties of this sport.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion View Post
I feel that a hunter needs a an exit hole in order to hiumanely harvest an animal. Just in case your shot placement is off; with berger bullets who advertise that there bullet "blows up " and you want have to trail the animal. I think they forgot the human factor of poor shot placement.
Larry, is that you? If so I think i know who you've been talking too. They gave me the same rationale on my elk last year. I still (respectfully) disagree with them. If this was archery, then yes an exit hole is definitely desired. But with a rifle, i want damage. And lots of it. I'd rather have a bullet expend all of it's energy into an animal rather than poke a hole all the way through and keep going. This is even more true on a poor shot in my opinion. Give me the most damage possible, so that i can put that animal down faster.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Bronze Member

Imo a bullet that exits is wasted energy. Give me the shock of all the energy being expelled upon the game. Bergers do that very very well. If a blood trail is what you want shoot a bow.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 PM

Where I hunt and the animal runs off 50 yds. without a blood trail you want be able to find it, I hunt pipelines running though thickets that you literally have to crawl though if you are not on the pipeline itself. I realize that hard to imagine but, it is true. So people for my purposes I need a blood trail not every deer you shot falls in it tracks; this is a longrange hunting site if you can't find where the animal was standing @ 500 yds. + or - how are you going to find the animal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne19 View Post
Imo a bullet that exits is wasted energy. Give me the shock of all the energy being expelled upon the game. Bergers do that very very well. If a blood trail is what you want shoot a bow.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Well, if that is how you feel then you should shoot a bullet that makes you happy. There is nobody here going to beat you with a stick until you agree to shoot Bergers.

On the other hand I doubt that anybody here will switch the bullets that they shoot just to make you feel better. I nearly wore my Berger hat today but was worried I would get it dirty.

Its just up to you what you want to shoot.
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Bronze Member

I am going to give 150gr. VLD's a try in the 270wsm.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Gold Member

My dad and I switched to Bergers last season for antelope. One shot at 456 yards, one at 300. Neither animal took a step. Internal damage was un believable! Can't imagine better bullet performance. One had an exit wound, one didn't but both were laying in a huge pool of blood when we got to them.............................can't iimagine they would have been hard to trail had that been necessary.

Just my limited experience.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member