Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Berger VLD bullets as hunting bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 04:37 PM

Berger VLD bullets as hunting bullets

I feel that a hunter needs a an exit hole in order to hiumanely harvest an animal. Just in case your shot placement is off; with berger bullets who advertise that there bullet "blows up " and you want have to trail the animal. I think they forgot the human factor of poor shot placement.

Last edited by champion; 02-23-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Well, if that is how you feel then you should shoot a bullet that makes you happy. There is nobody here going to beat you with a stick until you agree to shoot Bergers.

On the other hand I doubt that anybody here will switch the bullets that they shoot just to make you feel better. I nearly wore my Berger hat today but was worried I would get it dirty.

Its just up to you what you want to shoot.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Bronze Member

I have seen big game shot with just about every bullet out there and have shot game with Bergers myself. I switched from barnes bullets to Bergers because they shoot so well out of my STW. I honestly believe that the bergers will perform on game even with a poor shot. All of the premium bullets out there will work well on game inside their designed applications, I would find whatever works best in your rifle and use it. For me the bergers group well and perform better down range than most other hunting bullets. The higher BC gives you a better probability of making that good shot when wind or extended range is thrown into the mix. I truly believe that if you keep your shots inside the performance capabilities of the cartridge you are shooting you should have decent effectiveness on those less than perfect shots that most of us end up making at one time or another.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

bergers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284STW View Post
I have seen big game shot with just about every bullet out there and have shot game with Bergers myself. I switched from barnes bullets to Bergers because they shoot so well out of my STW. I honestly believe that the bergers will perform on game even with a poor shot. All of the premium bullets out there will work well on game inside their designed applications, I would find whatever works best in your rifle and use it. For me the bergers group well and perform better down range than most other hunting bullets. The higher BC gives you a better probability of making that good shot when wind or extended range is thrown into the mix. I truly believe that if you keep your shots inside the performance capabilities of the cartridge you are shooting you should have decent effectiveness on those less than perfect shots that most of us end up making at one time or another.
I think I just made the switch after shooting today at least in 308 win from barnes,hornady etc to Bergers. I just get more consistancy and better accuracy.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Well, if that is how you feel then you should shoot a bullet that makes you happy. There is nobody here going to beat you with a stick until you agree to shoot Bergers.

On the other hand I doubt that anybody here will switch the bullets that they shoot just to make you feel better. I nearly wore my Berger hat today but was worried I would get it dirty.

Its just up to you what you want to shoot.
:plight bulb:p
I'll have the #1 Berger Please.
Hold the mustard and pickle
Mike
Old 02-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Bob , Can you get me a hat:confused:
Mike
Old 02-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Mike, sure ,I can get you a hat. Send my about $278 and I will apply for an antelope permit in Wyoming. Right before opening day Iwill go get a hair cut and shave so I am looking good and handsome. Then I will go out and shoot a nice buck at about 700-800 yards and pose very nicely with it. Berger will send me a hat in return for the picture and story and I will forward the hat to you.

Thats a pretty good deal if you ask me. You can just sit at home and watch the football games on TV and I will go out and do all the hard work for you and you will get a nice hat.

If you would like two hats just send more money. The 115 Bergers will penetrate well enough I can kill at least two antelope with one shot and maybe even three.

On a serious note, you really have to be careful with the Bergers and not shoot when another animal is behind the first one unless you have enough tags.

I'll get you a really nice trophy buck like this one

Last edited by Buffalobob; 02-23-2008 at 10:10 PM.