Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Berger seating depth test results - what do you think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Berger seating depth test results - what do you think?

Worth watching when seating bergers.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Gold Member

The reason for the inconsistent OAL isn't in the ogive, it's in the tip of the bullet.

I'll be bet if that guy in the video measured his length with a comparator attached to his caliper to measure to ogive instead of the tip, he wouldn't be having the problems he is describing.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Gold Member

Not sure if it would make this fellows issues go away but I have recently used the Hornady comparator and did find differences with bergers so it is not just the tips in my experience thus far.

I broke mine into groups by .001 differences. initially 3 groups.

i then due to being over the top in everything further broke thos 3 into additional 3 groups fro total of 6 different groups to the .0005.

I will be headed to the range to continue working on a load with my 6.5-06AI and will know pretty quickly if this is wasted effort in the future. I hope to get out in next 2 weeks. weather and work schedule permitting.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
The reason for the inconsistent OAL isn't in the ogive, it's in the tip of the bullet.

I'll be bet if that guy in the video measured his length with a comparator attached to his caliper to measure to ogive instead of the tip, he wouldn't be having the problems he is describing.
Thia is exactly right. When you reload you should be measuring from the base of the bullet to the ogive of the bullet to get a consistent seating depth from the lands and grooves on every bullet. You will have those differences on almost any bullet out there....some less than others....but if you measure to the ogive of the bullet for the seating depth you will get the same seating depth every time.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:46 PM

Guy in the video understands that....the seating die isn't seating off of the ogive which is causing the variation when you measure the ogive length of the seated bullets. I noticed this myself with my Forster ultra seater and Berger 300 OTM. Had ogive length variation of up to .006.

The seating die keeps ogive length of 300 SMKs within .001.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVG308 View Post
Guy in the video understands that....the seating die isn't seating off of the ogive which is causing the variation when you measure the ogive length of the seated bullets. I noticed this myself with my Forster ultra seater and Berger 300 OTM. Had ogive length variation of up to .006.

The seating die keeps ogive length of 300 SMKs within .001.
I guess I should have been more clear. What I meant when i said that I use it on every bullet to get the right seating depth on each bullet was that I back off the bullet seater and then walk in every bullet to the exact seating depth and measuring inbetween and then making small adjustments. I figure that this was the quickest way for me to get the exact same seating depth every time.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 PM

Gotcha. That's what I have had to do as well.