Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

Berger 115 VLD Match bullet and Antelope

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 11-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 35
Re: Berger 115 VLD Match bullet and Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Bill, a very enjoyable read

You might try RL17. I was getting about 3200 with Retumbo in my 25-06 and then got 3400 with RL17 and 115 gr bullets. You should be able to better with the AI.

Good shooting,

Mark
I bought some RL-17 to play with after reading your results. The thing with IMR-4831 is that my extreme spread is around 5 fps, and a lot of 3427 duplicates ;). Out of all the powders I tested this was the most consistant. I have read reports that the Berger 115 VLD's will not stay together much over 3400 fps. I have ran them at 3490 with 7828 but that powder is a time bomb. I will test the RL-17 and if anything I can still shoot them at 3400 with better case life!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: Berger 115 VLD Match bullet and Antelope

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroused383 View Post
I bought some RL-17 to play with after reading your results. The thing with IMR-4831 is that my extreme spread is around 5 fps, and a lot of 3427 duplicates ;). Out of all the powders I tested this was the most consistant. I have read reports that the Berger 115 VLD's will not stay together much over 3400 fps. I have ran them at 3490 with 7828 but that powder is a time bomb. I will test the RL-17 and if anything I can still shoot them at 3400 with better case life!
Some rifles will like some powders vbetter than others. I try to start with the ones that give best velocites and are temp stable first and if they dont work out, move on. I hope the RL17 proves to be stable, it's been accurate in my 25-06 Sendero, but then again that rifle shoots most anything well.

Have you thought about the 115 Nosler BT's or Ballistic Silvertips?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-22-2009, 04:38 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 35
Re: Berger 115 VLD Match bullet and Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Some rifles will like some powders vbetter than others. I try to start with the ones that give best velocites and are temp stable first and if they dont work out, move on. I hope the RL17 proves to be stable, it's been accurate in my 25-06 Sendero, but then again that rifle shoots most anything well.

Have you thought about the 115 Nosler BT's or Ballistic Silvertips?
I have thought about it but these Bergers are like missiles. I am getting a b.c. around .630 out of these to 1000 yards. 16.3 MOA @ 1000 using a 200 yard zero, pretty hard to beat. Either that or my chronograph reads 200 fps low Sounds like maybe you should try the Bergers. I will take the most accurate powder in my rifle over the most temperature stable powder any day, but ideally you want both. Most of the powders I have tested and read about only really get unstable above 90 degrees. Powder is not so particular to individual rifles as it is the case itself. Do some testing you will find certain powder / primer combinations will be the most accurate load for that case and that will be able to apply to most rifles that shoot the same case.

You should read these test results, actually everyone should. I know this is for the 284 but you can apply it to any centerfire rifle , tons of good info everyone can benefit from. Save it though as there is a lot to read! http://home.earthlink.net/~rfrailey/...84loaddata.pdf

In all honesty these 115 VLD puts the 25 caliber into a whole new class. These bullets are still going 2040 fps @ 1000 yards, enough to deliver over 1000 ft/lbs of energy. Now if Berger would hurry up and come out with their 125 vld's we will have more options. Hell I even emailed Hornady to make some 120 grain Amax's. Sorry to thread jack ya Bill.

Last edited by Nitroused383; 11-22-2009 at 05:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: Berger 115 VLD Match bullet and Antelope

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroused383 View Post
I have thought about it but these Bergers are like missiles. I am getting a b.c. around .630 out of these to 1000 yards. 16.3 MOA @ 1000 using a 200 yard zero, pretty hard to beat. Either that or my chronograph reads 200 fps low Sounds like maybe you should try the Bergers. I will take the most accurate powder in my rifle over the most temperature stable powder any day, but ideally you want both. Most of the powders I have tested and read about only really get unstable above 90 degrees. Powder is not so particular to individual rifles as it is the case itself. Do some testing you will find certain powder / primer combinations will be the most accurate load for that case and that will be able to apply to most rifles that shoot the same case.

You should read these test results, actually everyone should. I know this is for the 284 but you can apply it to any centerfire rifle , tons of good info everyone can benefit from. Save it though as there is a lot to read! http://home.earthlink.net/~rfrailey/...84loaddata.pdf

In all honesty these 115 VLD puts the 25 caliber into a whole new class. These bullets are still going 2040 fps @ 1000 yards, enough to deliver over 1000 ft/lbs of energy. Now if Berger would hurry up and come out with their 125 vld's we will have more options. Hell I even emailed Hornady to make some 120 grain Amax's. Sorry to thread jack ya Bill.
I was originally posting to the other Bill (didn't realize you were Bill also), but the info is of course for anyone reading. Your trajectory results are very interesting. the Listed BC for the Berger 115 is .466 (vs .447 fothe Noslers) which was tested by Brian Litz. Different folks will get different results with different rifles but that is huge. Maybe there is a combination of velocity error and BC variance??? I dont completely trust my chrony based on things I've observed. When Lighting conditions change, the reading change. I've shot the 115 BST's (with an ave chrony reading of 3405) out to 427 yds Max distance at the local range) with a 300 yd zero and the drops were about .5 MOA higher than the BC and Vel would predict. I'm looking for a place to shoot them farther and test some more. I have been thinking of giving the Bergers a try. It would be interesting to compare the drops between the two bullets.

In my world, Temp stability is critical. In Montana temps swing greatly from day to day... even the same day. My bullets would be going everywhere with an unstable powder so that is part of the accuracy equation for me, and stable accuracy is my first priority in choosing a load. Velocity is next. So far I've been getting both with RL17, but haven't checked the stability yet.

Thanks for the article. it looks very interesting and will read it later. Right now I'm off looking foe elk

Later,

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rapid City, South dakota
Posts: 410
Re: Berger 115 VLD Match bullet and Antelope

No worry about Jacking my thread. If it has something to do with the .25-06 AI I do not care. I've shot the .25-06 for close to 40 years and always thought it was the perfect combination of knock down and recoil when it came to a deer/antelope rifle. Very drivable. Then I had a .25-06 AI built with a tight neck chamber and Hart barrel and gained a whole new respect for a cartridge. Biggest problem I have had so far Antelope hunting with it wasn't the cartridge. It was with the optics. I had been shooting my .308 with all summer and had my Leupold MK4 6.5X20X50 TM reticule on it and had put my 6.5X20X40 LR Varmint Reticule Leupold on the .25-06 AI No turrets to dial. I was good out to 550 with it but when presented with my only shot yesterday at 700 I had to do a bit of guessing. It worked. I hit an Antelope at that range plus or minus a few yards as the Lica would not give me an exact distance and was lasering whatever I could find close. Must of been off by a few yds as I took it high just under the spine. She didn't go down but just walked away slow. Spent 5 hrs and 8 miles trying to get close enough to finish her off. She would go out about 1500 yds and lay down. I would just get about to where I could put another one into her and off she would go again but never faster than a walk but faster than I could go and faster than I could get ready. All my shooting is prone using a Harris Bi Pod. Really made me feel bad as I really thought I could do it or I would of never tried. Finally she got over on some property that I cannot hunt on. One of those "DO NOT EVEN ASK" places. So I had to back off and watch for a while and like before she just sat there watching me. So I learned a new lesson.
Anyway before this I had some time and had been able to run a couple rounds over the Chronograph and was getting just under 3200 FPS on the load and I ran that through the Serria 16 program and the drop at 700 should be about 87"s by the program. I must of been off by about 3"s and hit higher than I anticipated and lost the animal. Not going to happen again as the MK 4 goes back on the .25-06 AI and no more guessing. I am a bit concerned about the bullet opening up at that range but if it penciled in between a couple ribs and didn't open up and was a bit high its possible I got little expansion. Gotta quit the second guessing as I do not know.
So now I'm looking at a bit faster load to improve the expansion and hopefully get better performance. I also think that the BC's might be a bit low because man that bullet shoots flat.

Last edited by BillR; 11-23-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 1,172
Re: Berger 115 VLD Match bullet and Antelope

Great read! Bill- i use my VH reticle for rangefinding back to brisket, and it may have worked better than your system or at least for a check and balance thing, tho it sounds like yours worked well that time--impressive. If the doe (usually 14" back to brisket) occupied right at 6 tenths the distance between the x-hair and the 2nd stadia line down (that's actually half way between the 1st and 2nd stadia),when the scope is set at the large triangle that should be ~540 yds. It's not a perfect system but it's very fast to apply. And actually if u can determine the age of the antelope (yearling vs. mature) it should be very close...especially with antelope. I have been quite successful using this system with antelope to ~500 yds. and works OK between 500 and 600. That really was a great story to read--thks.

My VH reticle is in a 4.5-14x VX-III, so all i have to do is adjust the power to it's stop and it's ready for use. I ordered it with an elevation turret only too as this is a hunting rig and if need be i would use the EXCELLENT 1.77 MOA windage line stadia along the main x-hair. The problem with the 6.5-20 and 8.5-25 is that the reticle is set up for a power lower than the highest, and i've never heard of anyone measuing the stadia at 20 and 25x. I should've ordered mine in a 6.5-20 too, as it would've made for a great experiment measuring the reticle subtensions at 20x, something i love to play with. Be nice to know what the offset is for subtension at 20x. Have u ever measured yours?

Last edited by sscoyote; 11-23-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rapid City, South dakota
Posts: 410
Re: Berger 115 VLD Match bullet and Antelope

No I haven't ever measured it before but your info has me thinking. What I really want on this scope is an elevation turret. I'm use to dialing for elevation and using the height of an antelope at the shoulder and extrapolating that our for elevation is ok but it takes time going back and forth and back and forth and guessing the height of the antelope by age and hoping your right just isn't my style but was a necessity due to time constraints.
God there are days I hate work as it interferes with my hobby's.
If I can just get a turret put on before this spring and start playing again with the gongs I don't think I will have any doubts next year. Other problem is ranging an antelope on a pool table without much ground structure to range on. The Leica 900 just was not able to range the antelope at 700 and after trying about 4 or 5 times using the closest spot that would range and taking an average its still just guessing. I hate guessing. Also the reason the Mk4 is on the .308 but it was not ready to go either as I had been using factory ammo and was out of them and couldn't find anymore. Plus that gun is just too heavy for me to carry for miles. Good to go with the .25-06 AI 's weight.
Now all I need to do is find enough load info on for the 115 grain Burger VLD to get it ready to go for next year. I need a good buck to go with this doe I'm having mounted.
Plus I think a Sworoski range finder or a Leica 1200 is in the works to help range things a bit better.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Berger 115 VLD Match bullet and Antelope
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Berger VLD vs Berger Match Hunting VLD SWALI Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 34 08-30-2012 06:06 PM
7mm Berger Match / 7mm Sierra Match FFEMT Reloading Equipment and Components 0 09-03-2011 07:58 PM
338 Berger Expansion and Penetration test on 925 yd. Antelope Jumpalot Long Range Hunting & Shooting 20 09-22-2010 05:50 PM
GS bullet antelope hunting. RockyMtnMT Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 4 10-16-2009 01:29 PM
best bullet for antelope mark308 Antelope Hunting 29 10-14-2008 02:39 PM

Current Poll
Are you on Facebook?
Yes - 46.63%
1,092 Vote
No - 19.21%
450 Votes
No, but I may join - 1.75%
41 Votes
No way, are you kidding? - 36.12%
846 Votes
Total Votes: 2,342
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC