Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Belted vs non belted.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Belted vs non belted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpoor View Post
Loading a belted case is no different from a non-belted case IF their chambers are cut to proper dimensions, which they usually are, but because the headspace is measured from the bolt face to the far end of the belt rather than to the datum line of the shoulder it seems that sometimes the chambers are cut long. When belted brass is completely FL sized and then shot in a too generous chamber it expands and then when the FL sizing is repeated the brass work hardens and quite quickly cracks or completely separates. Measurement comparisons between sized cases and fired cases need to be done and if they are more than a few thousandths of an inch longer after firing, sizing needs to be done with a neck size only die, that is until the cases grow to the point that bolt lift gets draggy, and at that time the shoulder needs to be set back just a little. This can be accomplished with a FL die set to just size a little of the neck or a shoulder bump die.
Exactly
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

when reloading for my 25-06 I normaly just push the shoulder back 1 or 2 thousands from measurment on the once fired brass. It sounds to me like there is no diff in reloading. Just make sure it,s not to long from base to shoulder. Am I correct? Thank's, Brad
Old 11-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

You got it!