Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Belted magnums reloading, from scratch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Belted magnums reloading, from scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraky1 View Post
Woods...

I guess in my case with the '06 its just a case of not using brass from one gun to another. And, that in itself might be another reason to own one of the innovative dies. You can buy used brass, or pick up range brass, or sell brass to someone and be confident that you have returned it to near factory dimensions.
Re your idea with the slighlty smaller body die...might that not actually make the problem worse as it will push the brass down even more??
Yeah, I guess I'll add those to the list

1. If I ever get belted cases that are hard to chamber because of the bulge above the belt
2. If I ever start switching belted brass from one gun to the other
3. If I ever start picking up belted range brass

then I MIGHT need the Innovative collet.

On my problem, the chamber is tight as chambered by Hart so that it only allows the brass to expand to the chamber dimensions. The Redding Body Die does not even size the brass at the pressure ring because the brass has not expanded out far enough to hit the body die. So the body die needs to have smaller internal dimensions along the case body so that it will contact the brass and size it a little smaller so it won't bind in the chamber.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

Woods .....

Re-read posts 24, 30 and 35. That should make everything pretty clear.

- Innovative
Old 08-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Gold Member

Larry, I read those the first time and I am clear on everything. I understand completely how your die works and what they correct. I just haven't run into those problems yet. Perhaps if I pick up a few more than the 41 guns I reload for now and shoot more than the 3 or 4 thousand times a year I do, then I would run across the problem. Perhaps if I specified my next custom gun with a very tight chamber then I would have to have one because the regular dies did not have a small enough internal diameter.

Anyway, as I've said before, I wish you well in your endeavors and hold no ill will towards you or your company. However, until shown otherwise, I don't see where I need one of your dies. What would be a shame is if a new reloader was convinced that he had to have one of your dies and spend the money only to discover that he had something that stayed in the drawer because it was un-needed.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

Woods .....

I agree. It's a shame when someone spends money needlessly when they could have saved it. (Especially in economic times like this.) That's not good for the shooting sport that we both support. It would also be a shame if our unique collet dies went out of stock to build another 6 month waiting list. It would be even worse if our Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Dies were permanently discontinued, because it would cost shooters over $400. to build just one of them.

Most shooters are glad to see companies in our industry survive. You can tell which companies support our sport by calling (or emailing) for technical support. Most companies in the shooting industry are an outstanding example for other industries to follow. So far, I've personally helped over 3,000 customers, and never received a bad check from anyone. Our fellow shooters really are the best folks out there.

Our products are made by shooters - for shooters.

- Innovative
Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

Larry's dies do what he says they do. It works wonderfully. I have a Blaser, and after two firings, no matter how far I would run a full length down on brass it would still not chamber correctly. I bought one of Larry's dies, and it fixed the problem. Weaterby Brass is not cheap! It payed for it's self the first night.