Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Belted magnums reloading, from scratch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Belted magnums reloading, from scratch

Concerning the case length mic. I think thats the shoulder mic that Larry Willis has on his website. That tool should proove verification of proper shoulder set after I set the die at each reloading session.

Guns and labs, sounds like you may be reloading a belted magnum also. Have you seen this "bulging" just above the belt that will not allow chambering of a cartridge? I have read about it but have not seen that phenomenon myself? Is it an issue...or just an occasional happenstance?
Old 07-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Silver Member

Nvhunter ......

Our Digital Headspace Gauge shows the clearance that YOUR handloads will have in YOUR particular chamber (at the shoulder). Handloads should have -.002" clearance. If not, you'll see how much (and which direction) to adjust your sizing die.

Our Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die allows you to drop your belted case in the top and SEE if you need "extra" resizing. If your case fits - it's good to go, and there's no need for more resizing. However, if you have cases that don't fit . . . . then it's obvious that it needs a bit more resizing.

The reson it works better than a conventional die, is that it pushes "inward" to resize the case instead of plowing the brass back towards the case head where it accumulates at the belt and actually increase case diameter. Read my website, and you'll see why these tools are becoming so popular. Thanks for the chance to explain.

- Innovative
WWW.LARRYWILLIS.COM
Old 07-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvhunter View Post
Guns and labs, sounds like you may be reloading a belted magnum also. Have you seen this "bulging" just above the belt that will not allow chambering of a cartridge? I have read about it but have not seen that phenomenon myself? Is it an issue...or just an occasional happenstance?
Yes, I reload a couple different belted magnums. I always full length resize, as the Blaser chambers require it for proper feeding. That's true even for non-belted loads, or so I'm told. I've never tested the statement, though.

I trim each time, and I always discard after the third reload. My accuracy is excellent on the .300 WinMag, but only acceptable on the .264 WinMag and the .350 RemMag, and I've been wondering if it is a headspace issue, or maybe a seating issue.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
The biggest error that is made when reloading belted cartridges is to resize them too much. Most of the stretching that occurs when they are shot, occurs just ahead of the belt. If you resize them too much, that stretching will make the area in front of the belt very thin (to the point of seperation).

If you push the shoulder back .001" only, you will be headspacing off the shoulder (just like your 30-06) and you won't have the issue.

So when you setup your die, don't just screw it in until it touches the shellholder, this will push the shoulder back too far and cause the problem.

Hopefully this made sense,
AJ
+1

It isn't necessary to seek out solutions to non-issues. Your main problem will be excess shoulder gap with virgin brass. If you take special precautions anywhere in your process, they should be taken here to ensure that you don't stretch the brass. You can form a false shoulder on the necks of unfired brass if necessary.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

guns_and_labs . . . . . .

- There's no need to discard your expensive cases after just 3 reloadings.

Winchester 69 . . . . . . .

- You and AJ Peacock are correct about pushing the shoulder back .001" or .002" and no more. That's why I developed the Digital Headspace Gauge. Unlike the RCBS Precision Mic, it works on vitrually ALL different calibers. However, belted cases can still develope a bulge - just nowhere near as bad. That's why our Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die has a case width gauge to show when your cases are bulged. Even if you just neck resize, you still need to bump the shoulder (and you should know exactly how much) by measuring.

- Innovative
Old 07-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

"I would rather headspace off the shoulder than the belt... "

That's sorta my point. Fact is, even the factories don't actually make belted ammo to head space off the belts.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NV, the RCBS Case Mic isn't a die, it's a case measurment device.

If you have no CALIBRATED GAGE to measure the position of your sized vs. fired case shoulders you have NO WAY of knowing how wel your sizer is actually set up. Get the Case Mic, Hornady's LnL or Larry's dial indicator rig to find that measurement.

A conventional drop-in type "case gage" only tells you if a case/cartridge is within SAAMI specs, minimum to maximum, you will still have no specific measurement and you NEED that info.

Last edited by boomtube; 07-31-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

I presently reload for or have reloaded for 19 different rifles in various belted magnum calibers, some very extensively, and have never had the need to resize at the pressure ring. Once I get to 6 or 7 reloads I get nervous and toss the case, not because of inability to chamber properly, but because of concern over case head separations (and yes, I do headspace on the shoulder and only push the shoulder back .001").

The Gauges boomtube mentioned will give you measurements to the datum point on the shoulder to 1/1000" and are indispensable in resizing cases.