Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Belted magnums reloading, from scratch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Bronze Member

Belted magnums reloading, from scratch

Ok, I finally decided to work with the Sako 75 V 7mm STW. I have been reloading standard rifle cartridges for may years. My question, is there a different procedure for loading belted magnums (7mm STW) as compared to reloading a standard rifle cartridge (such as 30.06)?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Belted magnums reloading, from scratch

I don't treat them any different.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

The biggest error that is made when reloading belted cartridges is to resize them too much. Most of the stretching that occurs when they are shot, occurs just ahead of the belt. If you resize them too much, that stretching will make the area in front of the belt very thin (to the point of seperation).

If you push the shoulder back .001" only, you will be headspacing off the shoulder (just like your 30-06) and you won't have the issue.

So when you setup your die, don't just screw it in until it touches the shellholder, this will push the shoulder back too far and cause the problem.

Hopefully this made sense,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Bronze Member

Yes, That makes sense. I have found a resizing collet and headspace gauge that Larry Willis offers. I think those resizing tools will help acheive the correct shoulder spacing and resize of the bulge that develops just above the belt.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Don't "over think" the belted thing. IF your chamber is too small for a normally re-sized case to chamber easily the collet sizer is a fine tool, but most are not.

If you want to spend some money, do it helpfully; get an RCBS Precision Case Mic or Hornady case length tool for your caliper and use it to properly set the case shoulders on your standard FL sizer dies.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
If you want to spend some money, do it helpfully; get an RCBS Precision Case Mic or Hornady case length tool for your caliper and use it to properly set the case shoulders on your standard FL sizer dies.
How does that work? I know my chamber is such that I HAVE to FL resize, but I would rather headspace off the shoulder than the belt... so how will the case length tool help if the die is set up to headspace off the shoulder?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Bronze Member

Yup, not overthinking, just want to purchase the right gear only one time. I checked the RCBS site and do not see a die set for the 7STW. From what I have seen so far...Redding has Type S bushing dies that can be ordered with the correct size bushing for a 7STW.

Don't know how much a Mic die set would help. I keep things along the K.I.S.S. method. But if there is a significant advantage, I could consider a set of mic dies.

Here in the desert there may be a temperature change of up to 25 degrees where I reload (seasonnaly) throughout the year. Acheiving a consistent .001 measurement during production requires climate control. Heating and cooling of any equipment from Lee to RCBS will contribute to expansion and contraction. So , I don't know if a mic set would achieve its intention.