Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Belted Magnums--Headspace on Shoulder or Belt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Belted Magnums--Headspace on Shoulder or Belt?

"Headspacing off a case shoulder may leave you with a unsupported area in front of the case belt in the web area and thus allow a catistophic failure. "

That's hilarious! You are joking, right?

MSLR, if a cartridge chambers snugly, belted, rimmed or neither, it's all as well supported as is possible to obtain and there is MUCH less hazard of a head seperation too. We aren't resizing to match the steel headspace gages gunsmiths use to cut a chamber, we are loading our own brass cases. For some 40+ years, I and every magnum reloader I know of has FL sized thousands of cases to fit the shoulders to the chamber. Guess how many "catistrophic failure" events we've experienced!!!

Last edited by boomtube; 07-21-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"Headspacing off a case shoulder may leave you with a unsupported area in front of the case belt in the web area and thus allow a catistophic failure. "

That's hilarious! You are joking, right?

MSLR, if a cartridge chambers snugly, belted, rimmed or neither, it's all as well supported as is possible to obtain and there is MUCH less hazard of a head seperation too. We aren't resizing to match the steel headspace gages gunsmiths use to cut a chamber, we are loading our own brass cases. For some 40+ years, I and every magnum reloader I know of has FL sized thousands of cases to fit the shoulders to the chamber. Guess how many "catistrophic failure" events we've experienced!!!

I believe they are talking about the chambering not the brass. I could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time....

bobby
Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

The original idea behind the belt was for head space. But if your case life is good, of the shoulder is fine.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

got to agree with boomtube.

Shot a lot of magnums and always had them set to go off the shoulder and with minimal sizing which avoids the case stretch issue of going off the belt.

http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post...oto=nextoldest

BH

Last edited by BountyHunter; 07-21-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

"The original idea behind the belt was for head space."

7, you're correct of course. It started with long, slender H&H magnums which had very slight shoulders that needed help to chamber and not be driven too far forward by the pin strike and primer concussion. The belt was simply a variation of a rimmed case and it worked well enough. In many peoples minds the belt soon became the meaning of "magnum" but that really wasn't true, as proven in more recent years by beltless magnums.

Most rifle magnums were and remain remain bottle neck cases. A competent handloader will avoid setting the shoulders back any more than is absolutely neccessary in order to avoid potentially dangerous head seperations.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyL View Post
I believe they are talking about the chambering not the brass. I could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time....

bobby
No, I was asking about sizing brass to headspace off the shoulder or belt. I had several local people tell me that you must always size your brass so that they headspace off the belt, and I politely disagreed. Just wanted to see what some of our resident experts here do. Thanks for the responses, I will continue doing what I am doing with minimally bumping those shoulders back.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

Understood. Yes if you fire the case in the chamber and it forms nicely a minimal bump of about .002 is usually perfect. Some of the magnums like a little more but depends on the gun. All you would need is what we call gizmos which are that last inch of the barrel we cut off when we chamber and run the chamber reamer in it enough to get the shoulder. Its a very handy tool when you are reloading.

bobby