Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Belted Magnum questions for you guys..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Belted Magnum questions for you guys..

I'll stand with my post, because it works everytime
gary
Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
dig that brass out of the trash can right away!! You need the sizing die from Inovative Tech.
gary
Or in the very least when you eventually get it rebarreled you can get a tight chamber and your body die will take it down no problem. Seems to me your brass isn't bad so much as your dies just don't have that "match" to your chamber.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulgrant View Post
flip it around to bump the base of the shoulder, the air chuck fits it perfectly
Glad it works for you but it looks like a great way to cause extreme runout issues. Have you ever measured runout before and then after this procedure?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

In the past I have only neck sized until I start getting a little resistance on closing the bolt, then I bump the shoulder back a couple thou. Usually after 3-4 firings. This year, on recommendation from others, I will FL sizing after each firing but NOT bump back the shoulder any further than before so I still headspace off of the shoulder. Supposedly accuracy increases, we will see.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Bronze Member

I have 10x reloads on about 50 pieces of rp brass for my 300wm and 8x reload on another 20 pieces of ww brass. I bought larry willis's collet die as soon as bought my other dies just because i agreed entirely with the concept.
I headspace off the shoulder .0002 then use larry's collet die whether i need it or not....don't even check anymore, some case's benefit, some don't...not a big deal.
every single one chambers and ejects with zero and i mean zero problems in approx 620 rounds.
I just wish i had a better way of checking the interior waist of the case other than a straightened paper clip.

So Far so good
Old 10-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtownBcat View Post
Now my head is spinning...ok here is my only issue with what you said...all of my brass(80% of it at least) was fully prepped and ready for loading.(so right now there is .0075 headspace. The brass will go in the rifle but i have a tough time getting it out.
I do believe that this headspace guide will allow me to set the shoulder back .002 or less in the future. What type of load do you recomend? I have some re 25 that was way to unstable for me so I can use that. I also have some 200 g accubonds that it didnt like...

So my measurements .512-.514 was after the body die...
If you don't like your rl25 send it to me and I'll burn it in my 30rum or 7stw. I just got a couple of pounds of it for them the other day.
For a 300 win I'll use rl22, h1000, or 7828 and that's it.