Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Belted casings questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Bronze Member

Belted casings questions

First let me say I have searched the forum and still need opinons, I load for a coupled different belted magnums but experiencing problems with my 300 Win. Mag Sendero.

I have checked casing length 2.620 and have turned the necks, full length resizing, loading 208 Amax with 73.5 H1000 put still have a tight bolt when ejecting spent rounds.

The rounds chamber without any tightness or difficulty, just after firing bolt lift is easy just tight casing no shinny marks or other pressure signs on primer.

Holding about a inch at 200 yards and want to address the problem before I go any farther.

Suggestions???
Old 11-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: Belted casings questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulerider View Post
First let me say I have searched the forum and still need opinons, I load for a coupled different belted magnums but experiencing problems with my 300 Win. Mag Sendero.

I have checked casing length 2.620 and have turned the necks, full length resizing, loading 208 Amax with 73.5 H1000 put still have a tight bolt when ejecting spent rounds.

The rounds chamber without any tightness or difficulty, just after firing bolt lift is easy just tight casing no shinny marks or other pressure signs on primer.

Holding about a inch at 200 yards and want to address the problem before I go any farther.

Suggestions???
Have tried reducing your power back by a grain or two, to see if this still happens?
It sounds like the start of high pressure .
Old 11-25-2012, 06:19 PM

How long has it been since you cleaned the chamber? My rem 700 started doing the same thing a few weeks ago. The bolt would lift fine after firing, but the casing was stuck in the chamber. After the casing cooled i could eject it without problem.

It occurred to me that i had just cleaned the barrel, but not the chamber. Some cleaning agent combined with carbon buildup can make for a bad combo in the chamber. I went in and thoroughly cleaned the chamber (nasty, dang long-throated rems) and my next trip to the range went off without a hitch. No more stuck casings.

73.5 doesn't seem terribly hot for H1000 in a .300WM, but all rifles are different. Just doesn't seem like 73.5 would cause over pressuring.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Bronze Member

I will try cleaning the chamber and I agree that 73.5 grains don't seem like it should create the problem, several manuals list 75.5 as max for 220 grain pills
so I agree.

I will clean chamber and reload a few at lower charges and try again.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think the charge weight's too much; 77 grains of H1000 for that bullet's typically listed as maximum.

So, something else is causing the problem.

I'd take a loaded round then mark it all over its case with a black marker; use a lot then let it dry for 20 minutes to get it well dry. Then chamber and shoot it. Eject the case and see where the ink's rubbed off. That'll tell you what's happening.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Silver Member

In a bolt action rifle, if the rounds chamber easily and the chamber is clean but bolt lift/ejection after firing is hard, the pressure is too high irrespective of what the load is or what the primers look like.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

If bolt lift is easy or normal its NOT over pressure, bolt lift becomes stiff with an over pressure issue due to the case expanding a lot more than it should and pushing against the bolt. I did notice that the OP said he turned the necks, so how much did you turn them, if it was a good bit you have a lot of expansion in the neck and could cause issues. 73.5grns of H1000 is closer to a starting charge than a max for that bullet. I would brush and mop out the chamber though then do as Bart mentioned.