Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Beginning RELOADING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Beginning RELOADING

Where do I start? I love shooting and hunting and now I have 3 good rifles. A custom 6.5x55, 7mmWSM and a 2-308's and an Ar-15 5.56, plus I may build either a 338 RUM or a 338-300 Edge.

I'd like to reload the 6.5x55 Swede and the 7mmWSM at this time. Do I read a book, take a class, which equipment should I acquire? All suggestions appreciated.

All of you must have started somewhee.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 06-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Beginning RELOADING

Ed, Some of the reloading manuals have very good tutorials in the front. This was how I got started. I recommend a good manual to start. You will use it over and over to work up loads even after you have your method down.

Goos Luck! It is a great hobbie with endless levels of achievement.

Jeff
Old 06-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Gold Member

There is Ammosmith. guy on Utube that shows basic reloading. Buy a starter kit from RCBS and find as much reading material as possible. Oh and spend as much money as you can the first time so you dont end up with ten of everything like I did.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Ed,

Start with a manual as Jeff suggested. Those tutorials will get you off to a good start, and answer most of your qestions. Also, hold off a bit on the AR until you've got some time on the bolt gun reloads. Reloading fro service rifles (any auto, for that matter) is truly a form of advanced lots of pitfalls there, and you need to have a good feel for the process before diving into those waters. There's a few books out about reloading for these specifically that you might be interested in when you're ready to take the plunge there. The 6.5x55 or the 308s will be no problem for you, and are a great place to start. I'd go with those first, but the WSM should hold any surprises for you either.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Old 06-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Silver Member

Get the Speer reloading manual, read every word in it from the front cover to the start of the load data. It's as good a tutorial as there is on beginning reloading.

+1 on the advice to get the RockChucker Supreme kit.

By the time you finish the reading assignment in the Speer manual, you will know what you need. It will tell you what you need, why you need it, how to use it, and what to avoid. At that point you will be in good shape to get started on bolt action rifles and revolvers.

I concur with the suggestion that you hold off on reloading for semi auto rifles and handguns till you get a bit of experience behind you. The bolt guns and revolvers are much more forgiving than the semi-autos.

I've come to enjoy reloading as much as I enjoy shooting. I get a new rifle or two each year just because it's fun to study bullets as they relate to game to be hunted, the cartridges that are suitable for the bullet and game, pick one, pick a rifle to shoot it in, then go through the process of accurizing the rifle, developing good hunting loads, and then bringing the meat home to put in the freezer. Hunting and shooting are a lot of fun. Doing it with ammo you develope yourself about doubles the fun.

Fitch
Old 06-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

I thank everyone for good information. It sounds like this is an area you must read and learn. It's nice to hear that there are pitfalls and it sounds like learning one caliber at a time might be best. Because I am going to be shooting my 6.5 x55 more over the next 5-6 months, preparing for deer season, I think I'll focus on that reload. Then maybe my 308's, although general ammo cost is pretty cheap in that caliber. But I'd really like to perfect a caliber at a time. Any thoughts on my first purchase of equipment. i can afford high quality stuff that is accurate and a long term keeper. So a list of the basics I'd need would be helpful. Machines, powders and target and deer bullets. I have put in 2 book orders so that's a start.

Thanks to all...

Ed
Old 06-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

You need a Sinclair catalog!!! Specializing in Reloading Supplies and Equipment for Firearms - Sinclair International Top of the line quality stuff!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"