Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bearing Surface, Pressure and Velocity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Bronze Member

Bearing Surface, Pressure and Velocity

so, I was thinking the other day..what effect does bearing surface have on pressure and velocity...

Reason being...I have three bullets I am working with...

the lightest one has the longest bearing surface....hmmmm

so, was wondering....

if a heavy bullet has a shorter bearing surface than a lighter bullet...what would that do to the possible load...could it indeed be loaded to a similar powder charge as the lighter bullet??

Final velocity would of course be lower...but what would peak chamber pressure do???
Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 AM

Re: Bearing Surface, Pressure and Velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 MKV View Post
so, I was thinking the other day..what effect does bearing surface have on pressure and velocity...

Reason being...I have three bullets I am working with...

the lightest one has the longest bearing surface....hmmmm

so, was wondering....

if a heavy bullet has a shorter bearing surface than a lighter bullet...what would that do to the possible load...could it indeed be loaded to a similar powder charge as the lighter bullet??

Final velocity would of course be lower...but what would peak chamber pressure do???
Good question! I guess all the variables need to be calculated of course. It would depend in part on the differences in the friction bearing area and weight difference.

I can't call on much relevant experience to help except the following; Once when I was working up loads for a 270 I was experimenting with 130, 140 and 150g bullets, and all three weights were of different brands. I used identical charges - 59g - of AR2213/H4831. In the case of all three different bullets the speed was a near identical average of 2970fps with a near identical point of impact.

Not directly relevant to your query but relative somewhere on the periphery.