Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Basic reloading equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Basic reloading equipment

just looking for a list of the very minimal equipment needed to get started loading a quality long range hunting round. Very strapped for cash so just looking for the essentials. Thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Basic reloading equipment

If you're strapped for cash, then go with a kit.

Over time, you'll want to add to it and replace much of the tools. You'll find that everyone has different ideas. So, that'll give you time to shoot and read up.

In addition to the kit, you'll want a few extras.

Almost not optional...
dial or digital calipers
flash hole deburrer
primer pocket uniformer
vld cas mouth chamfer
better primer seater

Optional/later...
bullet ogive measuring adapters for calipers
headspace measuring adapters for calipers
COAL gauge
neco or similar dual v-block concentricity gauge
neck turning tools

-- richard
Old 03-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
If you're strapped for cash, then go with a kit.

Over time, you'll want to add to it and replace much of the tools. You'll find that everyone has different ideas. So, that'll give you time to shoot and read up.

In addition to the kit, you'll want a few extras.

Almost not optional...
dial or digital calipers
flash hole deburrer
primer pocket uniformer
vld cas mouth chamfer
better primer seater

Optional/later...
bullet ogive measuring adapters for calipers
headspace measuring adapters for calipers
COAL gauge
neco or similar dual v-block concentricity gauge
neck turning tools

-- richard
What is a decent kit to purchase, RCBS?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think there's a huge difference between the kits. I bought an RCBS kit many years ago and was fully satisfied and then quit reloading for a long time and later bought the Lyman kit with the T-Mag.

They were both very much ok.

However, I've since replaced every component with something better except for the loading blocks and funnel.

Hope this helps.
Richard
Old 03-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

A Lee kit and some Lee dies will load very accurate ammo. Buy a powder trickler for convenience. I have other newer/fancier tools also but there is still a Lee press(among others), two Lee hand primers(all I use), a Lee powder measure(among others), and several sets of Lee dies(among others) on my bench.

I'm a function over form guy. I don't have a problem spending money on tools, but I use what works and if what works happens to be less expensive than I am all for it.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
just looking for a list of the very minimal equipment needed to get started loading a quality long range hunting round. Very strapped for cash so just looking for the essentials. Thanks
Precision is required for a "quality long range round".

With all respect to Scott, I'm not a believer in buying a reloading kit if your goal is precision loading and precision shooting. It's OK for hobby reloading if your goal is to produce factory level quality, but if you're looking for precision, you need precision tools. As Scott has mentioned, he has replaced all of those components, so the best thing to do from the start, is to purchase every piece according to the needed function. Every measured charge must be exact and consistent. Brass must be prepped to be uniform and concentric, especially necks. Bullets must also be seated concentric with consistent neck tension.

Most reloading equipment is of good quality. There's not a lot of difference in quality of presses and balance beam scales. Probably the most important components are the dies, especially the seating die. You want good quality sizing dies to get consistent and concentric brass and a good quality seating die to seat bullets concentrically.

Expander type sizing dies are the most simple and require less prep than bushing dies, but bushing dies allow you to accurately adjust neck tension and cause a lot less work hardening of the brass. But if you use bushing dies you should turn your necks to get consistent neck tension. If you use an expander sizing die, place a rubber "O" ring just above the expander ball to help facilitate a concentrically sized neck.

Get a competition bullet seater,... 'nuff said.

Shop around for the other stuff here and on Ebay or Cabella's or Midway, etc,. last time I checked Cabella's has a good set of "Cabella's dial calipers" for a good price.

Scott also made a good list of other components to get.

Read up on this site because it is rich with very valuable info. Do a lot of research before you start buying.

Good shooting,

Mark

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 03-14-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Bronze Member

I bought the Lee classic kit for $89 from Midwaysusa.com last month and have loaded a couple hundred rounds already. It's a great kit for starting I feel. I just had to buy my dies, and a caliper and that was about it to get started. teh kit includes a primer pocket cleaner, a deburring tool, shell holder, a scale etc....

Hard to beat for an entry level kit at $89.