Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Basic Reloading equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 PM

Basic Reloading equipment

I'm hopefully getting a .300 win mag here shortly and I am not paying $2 a round. I've never reloaded ammuntion before and i need a list of equipment to get to do everthing from start to finish. it doesnt need to be the nicest stuff on the market just something that will get the job done for maybe 50-60 rounds a year.
Thanks!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Basic Reloading equipment

Dstevens,

At 50-60 rounds a year, you need to stick to the factory stuff. Seriously, handloading isn't worth your time. You'll have a fairly hefty outlay of cash for even the most basic set-up, compared to what you'd spend on three boxes of shells. At that rate, you'd NEVER amortize the expense, and wouldn't be doing it enough to get proficient with the process.

Sorry, just trying to be blunt with the facts here.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...kit-90030.html

I have a Buddy that has loaded around 40,000 rounds with the kit before this which wasn't as good.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 PM

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

i had a housefire and lost all my reloading equipment in 05'. I started back with this very kit from lee and it did a great job. the press is a little flimsy for bigger magnum stuff, but i still use the powder measure and scale. it is a good way to start and get the basics figured out so dont be afraid to try it. AJ
Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstevens View Post
I'm hopefully getting a .300 win mag here shortly and I am not paying $2 a round. I've never reloaded ammuntion before and i need a list of equipment to get to do everthing from start to finish. it doesnt need to be the nicest stuff on the market just something that will get the job done for maybe 50-60 rounds a year.
Thanks!
Once you get the hang of reloading you'll be shooting MORE than 50-60 rounds a year!!!

1) RCBS Reloader Special press
2) RCBS 505 scale ( or 10-10 if you feel rich)
3) Powder drop tube ( I prefer the RCBS but any will do actually)
4) Dies for your caliber. Lee dies are as good as anyones and its not like your going to wear them out!
5) Lube...I prefer either the Hornady "wax" or "Imperial"
6) Loading block ( buy from Midway and get a Franklin. Good as anyones and lots cheaper than some
7) Vernier...Definately needed
8) Reloading manual
9) Reloading components ( bullets; powder; primers...etc
10) A place to setup and quiet so you arent bothered.
11) I forgot a tool for chamfering the inside and outside of case mouths

If you cant do it with that...you aint gonna do it!!

P.S. Cheap E-BAY. You can get used presses...etc...etc that are CLEAN and havent been used much at all for less than 1/2 price of new. Dont buy some old rusty S*** because new looking stuff comes online all the time.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Kevin has a point; BUT it'll get you shooting a lot more working with your rifle if you are serious about reloading for it at all.
If three boxes a year is really all you'll use, I'd buy my stuff as factory as Kevin mentioned.