Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Base to Ogive?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Base to Ogive?

This might have been covered already so please direct me to it.

Is base to ogive measurement that important? I just sorted 200 160gr Accubonds 7mm bullets, and the measurements ranged form .8265-.8335. Is this significant? I separated them into groups of .0015. Is this a waste of time?

I have taken the time to BR prep the brass so I want to eliminate anything else that will not make my new rig shoot. I do not want to be disappointed when I take it to the range the first time.

Thanks for your responses. This site is costing me $ all the time. Got a Love It!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Base to Ogive?

Here is a thread that talks about segregating bullets.

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...part=1&vc=1

Also, do a search on '+base +ogive +bearing +surface' for last 2 years and you will see a number of other threads that talk about it.

Essentially what I have gleaned from reading these posts is to sort by both Base to Ogive and by bearing surface. Sort by .001" for each grouping. Then choose bullets that weigh the same and have the same meplat (or uniform them). This will give you as good of bullets as you can have. This level of sorting is less important from 800yards in, and many here say it isn't important until well over 1000yds.

Hope this helps,
Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
and the measurements ranged form .8265-.8335. Is this significant?

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds more like a measurement from a Partition not an Accubond. Are you sure you measured those right? Usually, 160 grain Accubonds only vary .003" at most. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

I had four 50 count 160 accubonds.

Maybe I did measure wrong.
I used a stoney point bullet comparator and measured from the ogive to base. I did re-zero the caliper after attaching the stoney point gauge. Do i have to have a special tool to measure the bearing surface?

I am planning on shooting out to 800--1000yrds. Am I wasting my time?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

No, you're never wasting your time trying to be a better shooter. But typically, measuring Accubonds is not totally necessary unless it's for your own peace of mind. They generally are very good in tolerances. But perhaps your's are bad and need to be segregated. If they are .006"-.007" off then they need it. Are all your boxes from the same lot?
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think anyone ever wastes one's time.

When you're talking to GG, there ain't no one else that measures and sorts so many things. Heck, he even squares up the case heads...

But by darn ya gotta say that he hits what he's shootin' at. All his buddies, neighbors and friends do too, with his rifle and loads, that is. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]