Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ballistic Calculator instead of Chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ballistic Calculator instead of Chronograph

I thought those rails were to close, the front rail got blown by the blast, but I was told it should be close to the muzzle. Anyway I didn't believe readings chrono gave me. Sierra list H4831 SC with 59.2 grains going 3100 fps and I had 61 grain load... That should get at least 3160 fps but I would take 3100.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Gold Member

I've thought of sticking the chrono in front of my target, just gotta make sure I have a good zero so I don't shoot my chrono.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
I thought those rails were to close, the front rail got blown by the blast, but I was told it should be close to the muzzle. Anyway I didn't believe readings chrono gave me. Sierra list H4831 SC with 59.2 grains going 3100 fps and I had 61 grain load... That should get at least 3160 fps but I would take 3100.

For the realy big rifles, a blast shield will help. I set the front screen 12 to 16 Feet from the muzzle.

And on your velocity, remember a lot of the velocity/Data in loading manuals is calculated with
optimum numbers and very little actual real world testing.

Also each barrel may give different velocities from the test barrel used depending on length
and bore quality.

One way to check the velocity of a hand load is to compare it with a factory load that list the
velocity on the box, It will probably be slower in your rifle because it was tested under the
best conditions. I have only seen one or two brands of ammo that reached the listed velocity
(Just barely). but it does give you a bench mark to start with and with good velocities you can
get good BCs for your bullets, Then your drop charts will be very dependable.

For load development using the chronograph I can rule out a load with just two shots (If
the SDs are way apart there is no reason to continue testing that load because it will not
be suitable for long range.

As you can tell I am a big proponent of the Chronograph because it can give you lots of
information and save you lots of money, Plus if you have one with a printer you have a
permanent record of all of your loads.

So don't give up on the chronograph.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
Chronograph is a tool anyone working on load development should use, but what if you sighted in @ 100 then fire a group @ 300 and measure bullet drop, knowing bullet drop you can plug data in ballistic calculator and work your muzzle speed till you get same drop. Pocket ballistic calculator reduces stuff you need to carry on your range trip, then get everything setup and try not to loose or break things.
What do you think?
In my experiences, 300 isn't far enough to validate velocity by only using a program. We have to have a rifle that shoots basically "one hole" at 100 to know our TRUE zero, We also gotta know the exact height of our sights/scope before the ballistic program will be dead on at 300. I've often seen discrepancies at 300 from what the programs say, even with cronographed loads. I always concluded it was because of the close range "zero" not being exact.?

Now, that being said.....if we zero ~ 100, shoot at 300 and record drop, then shoot at 500 and record drop, then we can use the ballistic program to get close on velocity. It takes a big difference in BC to make much difference in drops when we're talking 500 and less, so the velocity is the biggest determining factor of difference in drop between 300 and 500 IMO.

As others have mentioned, a crono is a great tool to have. A cheap one may not give real reliable ES and SD's, but it will get you close on velocity at least.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

That's pretty funny if you were blowing the screens off. No way you are gonna get a good reading. Like was mentioned earlier stick that thing out 10+ feet and give it a go. Wonder if the chrony even still works. lol
Romans 12:12
www.projectsavage.com
Old 07-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Gold Member

Yeah, the chrono was setup 2 - 3 feet from the muzzle, I tried to tell its to close, but since its not my, I let that guy set it up.