Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ballistic Calculator instead of Chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ballistic Calculator instead of Chronograph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
Chronograph is a tool anyone working on load development should use, but what if you sighted in @ 100 then fire a group @ 300 and measure bullet drop, knowing bullet drop you can plug data in ballistic calculator and work your muzzle speed till you get same drop. Pocket ballistic calculator reduces stuff you need to carry on your range trip, then get everything setup and try not to loose or break things.
What do you think?

I have often wondered about the accuracy of chronographs but I have never seen it addressed.

From a purely practical point, you may be on to something. If I take a guesstamate of my velocity, use the factory published BC and plug those into a ballistic program then generate a dope card which I fine tune on the range out to 600 yards, by adjusting the velocity and BC figures, do I really need a chronograph? I have never found a load that worked 100% on any ballistic program. I've always had to make adjustments to Velocity or/and BC.

I know that when I'm done, the prairie dogs are in big trouble.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrschmitt View Post
I have often wondered about the accuracy of chronographs but I have never seen it addressed
Yeah right,, is this a GEICO commercial?
Do chronograph issues exist??

Do woodchucks chuck wood?
Was Abraham Lincoln honest?
Did the little piggy really cry wee wee wee all the way home?

Ok, sorry
Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrschmitt View Post
I have often wondered about the accuracy of chronographs but I have never seen it addressed.

From a purely practical point, you may be on to something. If I take a guesstamate of my velocity, use the factory published BC and plug those into a ballistic program then generate a dope card which I fine tune on the range out to 600 yards, by adjusting the velocity and BC figures, do I really need a chronograph? I have never found a load that worked 100% on any ballistic program. I've always had to make adjustments to Velocity or/and BC.

I know that when I'm done, the prairie dogs are in big trouble.
I can only say this about chronographs. You get what you pay for.

There are always times that they may give you trouble because of light and proximity
to the muzzle, But these things can be over come with ease.

Any instrument that samples 4 million times a second should be very accurate. (Some sample
less per/sec).

When you can measure 1 ft/sec difference between shots that have a velocity of over 4400 ft/sec
(My fastest cartrige) I would have to say they are indeed accurate.

Bullet makers have a habit of claiming higher BCs than actual. The chronograph can verify
the actual BC by comparing the velocity to the actual trajectory.

Once this is established your Ballistic calculator can be astonishingly accurate.

Without good data It is just a guessing game. I am sure it can be done ,But it seems like it is
subject to error and inconsistent.

I use my Chronograph for lots of other things beside velocity and find if invaluable. It has saved
lots of time and money developing loads and comparing pressure effects.

I could not and would not do without my chronograph.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Chronograph is a tool anyone working on load development should use, but what if you sighted in @ 100 then fire a group @ 300 and measure bullet drop, knowing bullet drop you can plug data in ballistic calculator and work your muzzle speed till you get same drop. Pocket ballistic calculator reduces stuff you need to carry on your range trip, then get everything setup and try not to loose or break things.
What do you think?
this will work well as long as you are shooting dead level with the curvature of the Earth. An uphill or down hill shot will ruin the equation
gary
Old 07-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

I just got back from the range where I was testing my loads for 270 WIN, according to ballistic calculator 130 gr SGK with 61 gr of H4831SC should have +-3100 fps, I was dead on at 300 yards, also I had a friend he got his chrono out, that thing measured 2250 fps, there was another guy shooting flintlock and guess what, those lead balls were flying 4000 fps. With chrono like this I would stick to calculator
Old 07-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

Well before moon-walking around like your all that, you might see how 'dead on' you are at 200, 400, 500, etc
I think you'll find that guessing 2 different parameters -at the same time,, isn't the best way to get both of them right..
Old 07-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
With chrono like this I would stick to calculator
Here's a link to a Thread that provides several sets of chronograph data which demonstrate that chronographs are capable of producing consistent, reliable, and credible data. I'll be adding another set of data to this thread - perhaps later today. This latest data set was collected at 985 yards, and was used to establish the BC of a custom bullet manufactured by one of our own - 'elkaholic'.

New Oehler 35P, New skyscreen rail, First Test Data