Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Baffled ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Baffled ???

I'm far from an expert, but just for comparison sake, have you tried seating your primers with a hand priming tool, & comparing the two methods?

I kinda lean towards the theory mentioned earlier about a certain amount if "crush fit" possibly being involved in the actual seating. I know it's strictly theory, & no one is advocating, or implying to use excessive force of any kind while seating primers, but it makes sense if you think about it for a while.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 08-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

Pull down the sliding primer cup on end the RCBS priming arm to expose the piece that does the primer seating. There will be a small hole running through it. Run a small rod through the hole and tighten the seater rod. ( I use a jeweler's screwdriver) Every so often I notice high primers and this is the fix.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
Pull down the sliding primer cup on end the RCBS priming arm to expose the piece that does the primer seating. There will be a small hole running through it. Run a small rod through the hole and tighten the seater rod. ( I use a jeweler's screwdriver) Every so often I notice high primers and this is the fix.
Thanks for the tip AZ. I previously removed and reinstalled the plunger, looking for a problem at that point. The parts have been in constant use for decades and need to be replaced. I just ordered a new priming arm and plunger/cup/spring.

While I can't see this as the problem, it is worth a try.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Bronze Member

I'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem, i'm new to reloading and thought it was a newbie problem. I've been using the win lrm primers on my .300wm and I get the same primer "raised" effect, it isn't much maybe a thousandth. My primers are measuring .130 and pockets on my Rem cases are .130 deep as well. I had an old once fired case that I hadn't pulled the primer out yet and I sat it on it's primer end and it had wobble as well. I'm wondering if it could be the Rem brass as well. My question is will this be unsafe to shoot, there's not an excess protrusion? The other thing I was wondering is will it flatten the primer when shot and look like a round loaded with excessive pressure?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

I've got the Lee hand primer, it leaves them protruded a bit, I've also go the press mounted Lee safety prime which I don't really care for that much. Good idea but but like a lot of Lee stuff quality leaves something to be desired. what I'll do is seat em with the hand tool then go back and SEAT them with the press mounted priming ram, takes a bit longer and you have to develop a feel for it so you don't crush your primers but it works to get them at least flush with the case head.

Rem700addict
I've never had a round discharge or fail to discharge due to a primer protruding a little, so from that stand point I don't think it's a safety issue. OTOH I just can't get warm fuzzies from my primers sticking out from my case head and it just does not seem safe to me. Besides it's a total PIA if you want to measure COAL.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Gold Member

It hasn't been mentioned yet but see what the manufacturer has to say. They may be no help at all but it's just a phone call.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Gold Member

Have you used that particular pocket uniforming tool on other brass successfully (without this problem)? I can't hep but wonder if it is cutting a flat bottom in the primer cup. Press ram loose would actually bottom out sooner unless it was so loose as to cause misalignment. I am looking at my rockchucker and can't see how that ram tip could ware at all. Have you checked the tools cutting width to confirm she is in spec. My measurements so far are the same as yours give or take, I have the same tools. with my dillon, rock chucker or hand prime I'm getting .005 recess of a seated primer with the harder cci primers and .004 with feds. If your press is clean, something has to be outright defective: brass primers or uniformer? All things considered I personally would not be comfortable trying to use rounds with ANY protrusion of the live primer. That is why I got hooked uniforming pockets it the first place, not cool. Still baffled and unable to help, just thinking out loud here and looking forward to hearing a resolution.