Awkward question with 257 WBY
When I was on my second deployment overseas in 2008, I purchased a Weatherby Vangard Sub-MOA in 257 Weatherby Mag with a few boxes of fresh brass to work some loads up on. It got shelved after my leave was finished for about a year. Then I started to get into trying new things.
So heres where it gets different. I didn't want to use my new factory brass as much as I wanted to shoot, so I did the 7mm RM to 257 WM. Any finished product that had any kind of neck crease got tossed. It actually formed a pretty good double radius. After cleaning up some, I then ran my 25 cal inside neck reamer down to get rid of some thickness. This was all done well over five years ago. I was experimenting with different bullets wanting to test accuracy with fireformed brass. All loads were reduced by 5% from normal Lyman 48 suggestions and then shelved. Most of all the 7mm brass is formed and loaded. There are 85gr Nos BT's, 100gr Sierra MK, 100gr Barnes ttx, 110gr Accubond and 120gr Partitions. There was rl22 and rl25 powder used.
So the hard part is now, so many years later, I have this loaded ammo with which I can't pull apart for powder, since there was two different types used. Is it worth it to shoot them up to get my new scope on target, pull and dump the powder, reuse the projectiles, or what. I plan on pulling atleast one of each bullet type, to atleast measure the powders and use an educated guess. It will not mean much, but I will simply have the data to know about velocities vs pressure signs.
I just don't want to have to go to the range three different times to dump 100 rounds through the gun, since I don't want to eat the barrel up, but components are hard to find..
That being said, after pulling out my 25 cal bag, I have 200 85gr Nos BT's. A handful of the other projectiles that I won't load on until I can get it relatively close. Somehow under the range bag for my 257 there was two jugs of fresh Rx17, which google searches seem to say works well with light for caliber bullets.
I know that was alot of finger tip diarrhea, but any thoughts would be great. Oh and to muddy the waters even more, I found a box of .30-06 with accubonds, and just pulling them out and inspecting them, three of the polymer tips broke off...
Edit note: I reloaded for 100 yrds back then. I was low 20's in age, not paying alot of attention to detail, hence no load cards in the ammo boxes. I do have an empty formed 257 that started life as a 7mm. Last night, I filled it with water and weighed it with primer @ 320.4, then I dumped it, put it in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes to get the excess water out. It weighed in at 238.3, for a difference of 82.1gr water. The factory brass is 84gr. Not a heck of alot of difference.
Figured I would put that out there.