Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Automatic powder dispensers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Silver Member

Automatic powder dispensers?

What's the best option for the money? I really like the RCBS, but the ISD Smartreloader is nice for $100 cheaper. What do you all think? I've got an RCBS manual dispenser...stick with that, and get a digital scale???
Old 11-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Automatic powder dispensers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPK View Post
What's the best option for the money? I really like the RCBS, but the ISD Smartreloader is nice for $100 cheaper. What do you all think? I've got an RCBS manual dispenser...stick with that, and get a digital scale???
a lot of what your needs are has to do with the types of powder your throwing. If your doing fine grained powders like H380 and 414 you can get by very well with a Lyman #55 or some others. But if it's long grained stick powder you will need to tricle or else opt for a electronic measurer. RCBS and Pact are the samething, and both work well. Have heard pro and con about the Lyman, but have never tried one. So I can't say. I get by very well with two measurers (a Harrell and the Lyman), and just trickle the loads till they are there with a small RCBS trickler. Been using this same setup for years without a hitch.
gary
Old 11-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

You can get the ChargeMaster at Midsouth for $280.
Midsouth*RCBS RELOADING PRODUCTS*CHARGEMASTER COMBO W/ DISPENSER AND SCALE
Why reward those who would copy it only to divvey RCBSs market?
Does that really seem like the right thing to do?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

I have the RCBS chargemaster and love it. I have had mine for a little over a year and it has worked flawlessly so far. The first thing I did when I got it was to compare it to a known accurate scale and it was right on. Not familiar with the other brands.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

I've been using the Hornady electronic for a few months with great results. Check it against the beam scale and it is very consistent. Sometimes you do have to play with the speed a little for long grain powders but once you get it set it rarely over charges.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:19 AM
Bronze Member

You can't go wrong with the RCBS. I have owned one for the last year or so and it has dramatically increased my output. Up until last year I manually weighed each charge which took some patience (RL22/4350/4831) with the longer stick powders. The RCBS drastically increases the speed of this operation and is worth the money in my opinion. It is not perfect but you'll figure out the small particulars as you you.

Happy Hunting.

AIR CAV!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

I have been using the RCBS for a couple of years now and really like it. Occasionally you will need to run the "calibration" cycle on it to keep accurate, but it is not necessary each time you use it. I have two "test" bullets, one that weighs exactly 190 grains and another that weighs 300 as weighed on several scales. Each time I turn on the unit I drop the 190, then the 300 in the pan. If they are not right on I will run the calibration procedure.

I typically seat a bullet while the unit is dispensing the next charge, by the time I have a bullet seated the charge is ready, saves a lot of time for me.