Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Audette / Ladder Test / OCW Explanation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Silver Member

Audette / Ladder Test / OCW Explanation

Can someone point me to a really good explanation of the Audette / Ladder / Optimal Charge Weight type of load development? I know there is one above at 1000 yards, but would like to do this at 200 - 300 yards. Thanks!
"Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

Last edited by TORCHRIDER; 12-01-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Audette / Ladder Test / OCW Explanation

Audette ladder test questions
Old 12-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

OCW started out as being able to find the "one magic load" for any gun of that caliber and chrono was never needed. Regardless of barrel length, contour etc, no brass prep etc. Accuracy level starting out was 1 MOA.

It seems to have morphed into to more of a ladder, only shot in round robin and now using chrono and other techniques

BH
Old 12-02-2010, 02:38 AM
Silver Member

Chocolate Ice Cream for your gun.

Quote:
Think about it this way. Some kids like mashed potatoes, some don't. Some kids will eat their peas, some won't. Some kids like bananas, some hate 'em. But show me a kid that doesn't like chocolate ice cream and I'll show you one bizarre little character! An OCW load is like chocolate ice cream to your rifle. If your rifle doesn't like the recipe, there is likely something weird about your rifle.
Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System
Old 12-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Silver Member

If you dont do your ladder test in conjunction with a chronograph, then you really need to do the ladder testing at as maximum distance possible, ideally 1000yds but anything over 800yds is pretty good too.

The reason is to find a load with minimum ES or SD. At shorter distances, its too hard to see the vertical variation caused from the velocity differences rather than just than the normal accuracy dispersion you have aswell.

You are wasting your time unless you use a chrony to determine your velocities, in which case you can test at short range.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

I have an Oehler Model 35 Crono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groper View Post
If you dont do your ladder test in conjunction with a chronograph, then you really need to do the ladder testing at as maximum distance possible, ideally 1000yds but anything over 800yds is pretty good too.

The reason is to find a load with minimum ES or SD. At shorter distances, its too hard to see the vertical variation caused from the velocity differences rather than just than the normal accuracy dispersion you have aswell.

You are wasting your time unless you use a chrony to determine your velocities, in which case you can test at short range.
"Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14
Old 12-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

I have done several successful ladder tests during load development. If you have access to a 300 yard range you will be able to get good results.

The idea is simple. There are certain nodes (harmonics) where your gun barrel will exhibit almost identical performance using a range of powder charges. You are looking for the optimum charge range when you do the test. The test is used to determine where the nodes are.

Vertical shot location is more important and telling than horizontal location, the thinking here is you can ignore wind drift but the bullet will drop by a controlled amount (gravity). When you examine your target(s) draw lines across the target to make it easy to see where good vertical consistency is achieved. Where the bullets hit the target in small groups (smallest vertical deviation) is evidence of a node. Some tests will yeild multiple nodes. Usually you want a charge range that exhibits good grouping with highest velocity.

When I do the test I load 3 each of the different powder charges in the range of interest and do the test 3 separate times with 3 different targets. I'm looking for consistency. It takes some patience and you need to mark your bullet holes when executing the test so as not to get them confused. I have seen some pretty dramatic results from the tests.

A good rest with a repeatable point of aim is an absolute must to get good resuslts. I let my barrel cool to cold before each shot. It can take a couple of hours to do a test.

Once you determine and select a charge range you can refine the test in smaller incremental powder changes.

All that being said, I have had occurances where the bullet I was trying to develop a load for just would not shoot in my gun worth a hoot.