Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Arbitrary POI change. Can you help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Arbitrary POI change. Can you help?

Check the area of the action for any high point that would cause the action to be torqued when tightened.

Another way to check this is to take the action out and then put it back in and finger tighten both screws Then tighten them both up some and finally tighten one all the way down and see if that made the other get tight. Next back out the one that you tightened down a turn or so and tighten up the other and see if the loose one is now tight.

I might not have done a good job of explaining things but basically you are trying to determine if the action is "rocking" back and forth between the two action screws because of a spot in the bedding.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:30 PM

Re: Arbitrary POI change. Can you help?

Thanks for the advice. I rather think that it must be me. Shooting off a bench I get different eye relief from shooting off a stoney point or a convienent log or fence post. I tried for consistency this past weekend, funny how a little change makes such a big difference. I noticed that I held consistant but was varying my eye relief. This is probably something you guys already know. If you hold your eye about 5 inches from the scope and slowly move to the proper eye relief, the cross hairs move in relationship to the target. Thanks for the tip. bad shooting technique. Wish I could blame it on the rifle but knew I could not.