Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Anyone use RCBS Precision Mics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone use RCBS Precision Mics

I use the mic to help partial full length resize. It helps me find my headspace off of the shoulder. I really like the hornady COL and bullet comparator. It helps really nail down the COL and find out how long the round will be before it touches the lands.

Unread 06-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

The COAL tool you are refering to is old Stoney Point guage that requires the modified cases, correct?
Unread 06-29-2009, 07:39 AM
Silver Member

I believe so. I've only had it for a year and not sure what it was called.

MidwayUSA - Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Bolt Action
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

"The COAL tool you are refering to is old Stoney Point guage that requires the modified cases, correct?"

If you refer to me, yes. BUT - I really don't care for that method of finding the lands any better than the crop-failure RCBS Freebore Tool so I DON'T use the modified cases. I believe the marked cleaning rod/dowel trick is faster, easier and actually more accurate for finding the lands..

The old Stoney Point/new LnL case length tools (that is, head-to-shoulder) is quite good for setting a FL die properly. So is the caliber specific bullet ogive bushing they use to measure and then adjust the head-to-ogive length of a cartridge after the lands are found with the dowel. The only downer with any such tool is that we have to be careful not to let it get loose on the caliper jaws or readings will be inconsistant.
Unread 06-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"The COAL tool you are refering to is old Stoney Point guage that requires the modified cases, correct?"

If you refer to me, yes. BUT - I really don't care for that method of finding the lands any better than the crop-failure RCBS Freebore Tool so I DON'T use the modified cases. I believe the marked cleaning rod/dowel trick is faster, easier and actually more accurate for finding the lands..

The old Stoney Point/new LnL case length tools (that is, head-to-shoulder) is quite good for setting a FL die properly. So is the caliber specific bullet ogive bushing they use to measure and then adjust the head-to-ogive length of a cartridge after the lands are found with the dowel. The only downer with any such tool is that we have to be careful not to let it get loose on the caliper jaws or readings will be inconsistant.
Boomtube - Yes, COAL tool question was for you. That is the one I planned on skipping on and using the dowel method instead.

As for the case length tool, is this this the one you are refering to...

MidwayUSA - Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator Basic Set with 6 Inserts

or this one...

MidwayUSA - Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Gage 5 Bushing Set with Comparator

or get both?
Unread 06-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Silver Member

They measure two seperate things. The comparator measures C.O.A.L off of the ogive. The bushing set measures brass size. The datum line is not always on the shoulder technically but I don't guess that matters when you are trying to get your brass to exactally fit the chamber. I guess the bushing set can take the place of the precision MIC
Unread 06-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

Consider this ...

Our Digital Headspace Gauge does the job of all the different size of Precision Mics ever made. It measures the shoulder clearance that YOUR handloads will have in YOUR particular chamber, and it works on every caliber from 22 Hornet to the 378 Weatherby.

Even better than the Precision Mic, our Digital Headspace Gauge can also display the distance from YOUR bullet ogive to the rifling in YOUR particular chamber. It does this after locating your ideal OAL using a simple tool like this:

It takes into consideration the exact bullet you're using, and our Digital Headspace Gauge compares this to your handloads. Visit our website at WWW.LARRYWILLIS.COM and check it out.

- Innovative