Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

anyone have any load data for a 7mm ultra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 09:03 PM

Re: anyone have any load data for a 7mm ultra

Yea I'm aware of that. But once I get the right combination it will only b shot mayb 5 times before elk season and hopefully 1 during so if I get a decent load worked up pretty quick the gun will have years of life left
Old 04-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Hodgdon data tops out at 90.0 h1000 with the 168 sierra so the charge may be a touch warm for accuracy.
I'd go with a slower burning powder like rl50 or 50 bmg here if you are staying with the 168. The accuracy should fall in if you can get your speed without hitting it quite so hard.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Gold Member

2 questions:

How is your trigger set?
On my rifle before I had it adjusted with the correct overtravel/poundage I was all over the place too. It took my groups from 1.5" to <.5".

Is this thing thumping you or do you have a good Limbsaver recoil pad or brake?
There seems to be left and right in your group. I don't know your experience with heavy magnums but big 7's have a 'bite' to their recoil.

Addressing these 2 things can improve your accuracy immensly.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebore View Post
2 questions:

How is your trigger set?
On my rifle before I had it adjusted with the correct overtravel/poundage I was all over the place too. It took my groups from 1.5" to <.5".

Is this thing thumping you or do you have a good Limbsaver recoil pad or brake?
There seems to be left and right in your group. I don't know your experience with heavy magnums but big 7's have a 'bite' to their recoil.

Addressing these 2 things can improve your accuracy immensly.
+1

I never really looked at the group before, but after your comment looked at it a bit and it looks just like some my 7stw put up when I was letting it hop around a while back. I was irritated at other things that had already been worked on with the rifle and not watching what I was doing.

Do you have another shooter you trust near you you could have punch a couple of groups off for you?? I had my Dad come out to the range with me to "prove" the 7stw. He settled in and punched a 5 shot .65" 100 yard group with a rifle that lately had been putting up 1.2 to 1.5" 15 shot averages. I settled in after he proved it was me and immediately dumped a .9" 100 yard group.

Often if gets in your head that a rifle isn't any good, and you stop really trying to make the rifle work for you. That's a good time to have someone else step in for a group or three or simply watch what the rifle is doing as it recoils on you.
If the recoil motion isn't similar every time, the accuracy will suffer. If the rifle isn't settled into the bags (or held the same way if freehand) every time the accuract will suffer. If the load isn't performing at your current temp. the accuracy will suffer-- that was also happening on the 7stw. Two of three loads were performing at some temps and not others.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 AM

Yes I have had a friend that travels all over the u.s shooting in competitions shoot it and it was the same but I have thought seriously about getting a brake put on... But all in all I don't notice recoil til I'm headed home from range after shootn 10 or more
Old 04-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

My factory LSS will ONLY shoot 150 gr bullets to my liking.....150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips will basically go in the same hole at 100 yards over 90gr of H-1000, seated at mag lenth.

Every other heavier bullet I tried would hover around 1 MOA, at best.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Russo View Post
With the 160, 162, and 168 grain offerings, Retumbo will serve you well. You should find acceptable accuracy between 91 and 93 grains. The poor quality Remington brass will not stand repeated firings with 93 or more grains, unless you want to use super glue to hold your primers in...
Thanks for the tip I had been struggling with my 7 Ultra Sendero about 1-1/2" was my best w RE 25 then tried Retumbo and shot Back to Back 1/2" groups

Last edited by Truc; 05-02-2013 at 07:09 PM.