Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

Anyone forming their own .300wm brass

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mount vernon, OH
Posts: 670
Anyone forming their own .300wm brass

I am getting some pretty sever soot on the case necks with my .300 even with several factory loads. I was kicking around the idea of forming my brass from on of the win mags parent case then minimally trimming the neck so it barely fits in the chamber. This would also allow to to neck turn and still keep the brass pretty think to increase neck tension.
__________________



"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,114
Re: Anyone forming their own .300wm brass

Use a different powder that's cleaner. You need plenty of neck clearance for best accuracy. IMR4350's a good choice for bullets 165 through 220 grains.

Your barrel may have a chamber or bore dimensional issue; I'd have them checked.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mount vernon, OH
Posts: 670
Re: Anyone forming their own .300wm brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Use a different powder that's cleaner. You need plenty of neck clearance for best accuracy. IMR4350's a good choice for bullets 165 through 220 grains.

Your barrel may have a chamber or bore dimensional issue; I'd have them checked.
Interesting indeed. I have had great luck with h1000 but even a few different brands of factory powder exhibit this. I don't really have a smith nearby to do it ill have to send it to someone.
__________________



"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,324
Re: Anyone forming their own .300wm brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
Interesting indeed. I have had great luck with h1000 but even a few different brands of factory powder exhibit this. I don't really have a smith nearby to do it ill have to send it to someone.
I have to agree with Bart. Typically when you get case neck " sooting"' that usually means powder is to slow, and is not sealing the neck when fired. It also could be that the case neck area is extra generous. The best you can do, it use the faster burning powder, ie, 4350' or IMR 4831. Both of them typically burn clean, and quick enough to seal the necks,without spiking pressures. Sometimes, you can not get rid of it totally, but it can be minimized by powder selection, and common sense. Take care, and be careful. I would not bother with the fire forming thing. To much hassle, with to little gain, if any!
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mount vernon, OH
Posts: 670
Re: Anyone forming their own .300wm brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
I have to agree with Bart. Typically when you get case neck " sooting"' that usually means powder is to slow, and is not sealing the neck when fired. It also could be that the case neck area is extra generous. The best you can do, it use the faster burning powder, ie, 4350' or IMR 4831. Both of them typically burn clean, and quick enough to seal the necks,without spiking pressures. Sometimes, you can not get rid of it totally, but it can be minimized by powder selection, and common sense. Take care, and be careful. I would not bother with the fire forming thing. To much hassle, with to little gain, if any!
Thanks for the input Ill pick up some 4831 and see how I like it.
__________________



"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Anyone forming their own .300wm brass
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
forming 350 Rem mag brass Skimbleshanks Reloading 6 02-26-2011 11:00 PM
Forming .260 brass rugerdog5 Reloading 4 05-25-2010 02:22 PM
forming 6.5-06 brass trueblue Reloading 9 02-11-2010 07:30 AM
forming brass shooterpunk2 Reloading 4 06-13-2008 03:03 PM
Forming 7mm-08 Brass sewwhat89 The Basics, Starting Out 3 12-03-2005 09:56 PM

Current Poll
Spot & Stalk or Ambush For Western Deer?
MOSTLY - Spot & Stalk - 73.71%
1,026 Vote
MOSTLY - Ambush - 26.29%
366 Votes
Total Votes: 1,392
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC