Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Anyone ever reverse engineered HSM Trophy Gold ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone ever reverse engineered HSM Trophy Gold ammo?

Dr. Vette,

You're being given some good advice here, and it's worth heeding. You can't make a visual ID of powders with anything close to a safe degree of certainty. HSM most definately IS large enough to make use of custom powders, and it's foolish to assume that this is a straight cannister grade powder that you can find at your local reloading shop.Bill (HSM) has loaded the contract ammo for the US Secret Service in years past, and isn't a stranger in the world of high-end custom loading operations. The Berger bullets are easy enough to figure out, and as has been mentioned, will be a good starting place for your OAL. But be careful with the powder charges, and cross reference the piss out of any potential combination BEFORE you start working up a load based on what you believe the powder to be. As I've said before, you're issued two eyes and ten fingers. No do-overs, no second chances once you screw up.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Dr. Vette,

You're being given some good advice here, and it's worth heeding. You can't make a visual ID of powders with anything close to a safe degree of certainty. HSM most definately IS large enough to make use of custom powders, and it's foolish to assume that this is a straight cannister grade powder that you can find at your local reloading shop.Bill (HSM) has loaded the contract ammo for the US Secret Service in years past, and isn't a stranger in the world of high-end custom loading operations. The Berger bullets are easy enough to figure out, and as has been mentioned, will be a good starting place for your OAL. But be careful with the powder charges, and cross reference the piss out of any potential combination BEFORE you start working up a load based on what you believe the powder to be. As I've said before, you're issued two eyes and ten fingers. No do-overs, no second chances once you screw up.

Do not post much but this is something that I could not pass up----Canister Powders are not used very often by commercial companies. Never have been because of the cost.. You would be VERY SMART to forget what you are attempting to do because you could go BOOM..

Kevin is probably the most informed individual on this board regarding this subject.... Pay Attention...
Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys. It seemed like an easy enough idea if they used the same powders as us normal people.

Looks like I'll be buying a couple of boxes of their ammo as I don't have the time or interest right now to get loads for this rifle figured out given the accuracy I've got with the HSM product.
Other loads and rifles are ahead of it in line.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

If I were to attempt reverse engineering, I would run factory ammo through a chronometer.

Then I would take one and weigh the powder and then run through the data in QL and see if any of the listed powders looked close.

If more than one does, then I would compare visually to see if one stood out as matching the velocity and weight calculation of QL as well as looked visually similar.

In the end, you would still have to start low and work up to confirm your observations though.....

In my view a lot more trouble than choosing a powder that is available that meets your criteria and simply working up to accuracy node and calling it done.

I tend to try and use those powders that have decent density and are known to be temperature tolerant.
When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

I lived just a few miles from the Hunting Shack, before and after they moved to their current location. After what I witnessed one more than one occasion picking up various components there (SCARRRYYYYY)I would forget the idea of trying to reverse engineer any thing from them just do what we do. Research it, and work up your own.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
I lived just a few miles from the Hunting Shack, before and after they moved to their current location. After what I witnessed one more than one occasion picking up various components there (SCARRRYYYYY)I would forget the idea of trying to reverse engineer any thing from them just do what we do. Research it, and work up your own.
Thanks Joe.
You didn't see them pouring H-1000 into any 7mm Rem casings did you?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

No but after I stopped to get a pound of 4064 and over heard them panic because they lost a 32#keg, I never went back either, that and the folks I saw working there that I knew to be methheads I wasn't going to stick around any longer than I had to either lol.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe